Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ash leaf maple burl bowls

Ash leaf maple burl bowls

This burl came from one of my jobs last year and since it was basically solid and not much in the way of bark inclusions I decided to get as large a bowl as I could, Had I known it was so stable upon drying, I would have tried for more cores. After a year it was only 1/8" out of round. The larger bowl is 15-1/2" and the smaller is about 11". I got two more smaller cores that I can't seem to find. Both bowls got thin coats of shellac before final cuts and sanding, then two coats of DO. I was very relieved to get these off the lathe. C&C always welcome and thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! and I like the accent ring below the rim!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Well you are really cranking them out Hayes. Great figure and winning forms. I like the rings too.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

the accent ring is just perfect for these. super bowls

Hayes, that is some unbelievably beautiful wood!! Great form and I really like the beads.

Very nice wood and bowls - Like others I like the rings/beads too.

Dazzling! Wonderful forms and wonderful wood. Nice pair of twins, Hayes!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Spectacular bowls, Hayes!!! For me, everything about them is spot on, right down to the detail on the feet.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Very nice. The shape,design are surpurb.

this is really spectacular wood and your work displays it wonderfully. The sweeping curves are perfect and the beads really add interest to the otherwise simple elegant design.

Very nice job on the bowls. I goggled ashleaf maple and I guess it is a box elder. Whatever it is beautiful wood.

Fred, you are right it's box elder. Must be a regional thing. Here in the land of Douglas Fir and White Pine it only exists in old neighborhoods, probably planted as quick shade trees. Most people don't know what it is even if it's in their yard and consider it a trash tree.

13. Good stuff Hayes................that burl has beautiful figure, and your bowls are very nice in form, with the accent ring.......I wish you could have posted a pic of the inside of the bowl as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice Hayes! I really like the simple curve and understated design beads. Very classy work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Man, that is gorgeous stuff! Doesn't matter what you call it... It's purdy! Great shape and that bead detail is likely to get 'borrowed' in some shop in rural Oklahoma.