Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses are like clamps....

Horses are like clamps....

Horses are like clamps apparently, more than one is becomes the rule. Elvis has a new sister...meet Nellie, my new dressage mount. Only two years minus one day from when we bought Elvis. LOL

For anyone not familiar with Elvis, here he is...

And just so you know, he's pretty smart...here he is studying the jumping courses before my daughter, Alesya, rode him to a grand champion ribbon.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I don't know much about horses but those are good looking animals!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great looking horses, but I must admit since I was 10 my agreement with horses was if they promised to stayed on their side of the fence I would stay on MINE!!!

Nice looking bay and sorrel Jim!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Show off!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I know very little about horses. But I still think they are exceptionally magnificent creatures. Elvis and Nellie are beautiful.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the adage was that one could never have enough clamps. I did not realize this was also true with horses. Wow. And I thought clamps were expensive.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Congrats on the new mount Jim. Looks like she is going fit right into the family.
    Next on your list, to go with the new "clamp", will have to be a three or four horse Sundowner gooseneck with living quarters.
    We have quarter horses that cut or rein and I have found that in the horse world the bleeding really never stops....
    Have fun with Nellie and congrats again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Yes, they are...although these days, Elvis and his color ilk would usually be referred to as a chestnut. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Congrats on the new mount Jim. Looks like she is going fit right into the family.
    Next on your list, to go with the new "clamp", will have to be a three or four horse Sundowner gooseneck with living quarters.
    We have quarter horses that cut or rein and I have found that in the horse world the bleeding really never stops....
    Have fun with Nellie and congrats again.
    Yea, but that would also have to be part of the whole winning PowerBall or MegaMillions winning ticket thing. Seriously, I'd like to have a trailer someday so we could head to the horse park with some frequency, but I'd likely opt for something light-weight that I don't need a major piece of truck to pull...a Fautras or a used Brenderup, for example. I can pull them safely with my Highlander Hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the adage was that one could never have enough clamps. I did not realize this was also true with horses. Wow. And I thought clamps were expensive.
    Yea, and clamps don't eat much.

------

BTW, today is the two year anniversary of our purchasing Elvis. Ironic that Nellie comes on board at about the same time this year. Scary...very scary...
    --

Jim - I know next to nothing about horses and have only ridden a few times in my life - but you sure have some beautiful horses! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Jim, those two look great! What breeds are they? My wife rode dressage for years on a Trakhaner, and a few years ago she acquired a Cleveland Bay. Our latest acquisition is a quarterhorse for Extreme Cowboy Racing competition.

Scott, Elvis is an Appendix (TB/QH) and Nellie is TB/Appy/WB with the WB portion likely something like a Trakhaner rather than a larger warmblood type. Elvis is 16.1h and 11 yo. Nellie is 16.2h and about 8 yo, although we don't know her age for sure. I'm training in dressage; my younger daughter is training for hunters, my older daughter occasionally rides (her meds have hurt her ability unfortunately) and Professor Dr. SWMBO is also riding. Oh, and I was actually in the shop today...making a sign for Nellie's stall door. LOL

Congrats on your new QH. I hope that you get lots of ribbons!
    --

Jim.....I, for one, am not a fan of purebreds. When I was in the market for a "mountain" horse, all the professional trainers I talked with at horse sales advised me to stay away from purebreds.

When I was looking, I would not look at anything younger than 8-10 years of age.

Both your horses appear to have good conformation.

Nice looking horses!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, it's both an objective and subjective thing when it comes to choosing breeding for a particular purpose. There are some disciplines where "more pure" excels and many other areas that benefit from more mixed breeding. And, of course, there are sometimes just human preferences, informed or uninformed.

That said, we are indeed blessed that our two are well built and healthy as they are. And both have incredibly wonderful personalities...and that's the part that really makes them a pleasure to have in the family.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, and clamps don't eat much.
    And you don't need a shovel to clean up after your clamps either . . .

Cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mattheiss View Post
    And you don't need a shovel to clean up after your clamps either . . .
    True, but I don't need a shovel to clean up after our horses, either...it's included in the board bill. LOL
    --