Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpenter bee traps

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I prefer one of these and a good back hand swing.
    Just be sure you get them on the first swing. They get smarter and faster with each subsequent swing.

Get a 4x4, (non treated) drill a 3/4" or so hole down the center, but not all the way through. Drill a 2nd 1/2" hole on 1 side at an up angle so it meets the first hole. Drill a hole in a jar cover and screw it onto the 4x4 so the bee can go down into the jar. For some reason, thay cannot fly up and get out. The hard part is you need a bee in the jar so the pheroomones attract more bees. I use a bee that I catch an a net and step on. Hang the "trap" near where they are boring. It does not catch many bees, but it will at least make you happy to see them in there. I'd go for the tennis practice too. They do sting hard.
    Malathion also works, if you spray it into thier holes with those hand pump sprayers. I've also used caulking compound and mast foam. Lots of things work. They are a pain though. Very strong insects. You can step on them and they don't splat like a roach. Amazing.

plastic cement roofing and flashing type tar tends to ruin their day but its not very attractive they bore through it but it permanently grounds them DAMHIKT

Are you all talking about what we in the South call Bumble Bees? Big black things? Or is there a difference? I had a run in with them at my previous house. Had an outbuilding with a lean-to shed on the back. Those bees started boring holes in some of the 2x4s holding the roof up. Like the goof that I can be, I decided to blow them out with firecrackers. Worked really well! Though I don't recommend this for expensive structures. Cracker would blow and out would stumble 5-6 stunned ( and just about dead) bumble bees. After a while, they got the hint.

Mike

Mike,
    There's a difference between bumble bees and carpenter bees. Carpenter bees bore into wood and can cause big problems. They do look a lot alike and I thought my carpenter bees were bumble bees until someone told me about them.
    http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bumble_bee.html

the insecticide followed by a bunch of the expanding foam "Great Stuff". They can't push it out like caulk. If lucky, you'll encase them immediately. A few might eat their way out sideways, but just have to keep treating & foaming!

I like the advice in this thread, although if the traps don't work you might want to check out this site for carpenter bee control. I found some great stuff there.

I've done like Lee, and used the badmitton racquet, and also used a BB gun (Really helps with instinctual aiming), however it never fixed the infestation, merely slowed it....but it was fun! And remember, Carpenter bees don't sting, so don't be afraid to get in there.

Blog Entries
    Here's a phototraponroofsmall.jpg of one you can make. I made one last summer, but didn't get a chance to try it. There are actually three entrance holes (you can only see the one in the front in the photo.) slanted upwards. one in each side and one in the front, the holes are 3/8 diameter. Do a google search for "Carpenter Bee Traps" and you will find several ideas and sources for buying traps.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-21-2012 at 6:36 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute