Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood comes too easily........

Blood comes too easily........

I thought that I would post a reminder about how easily things can go wrong in the wood shop........have you ever tried typing without the use of your index finger? Believe me it is taking me 3 times as long, and every word I am having to go back and correct.....fingers on wrong keys!

Anyway, I had 2 mishaps in the shop today..........let me preface this by saying that I am very safety minded........I have done wood working for 25 years, and in the past, I was a meat cutter for some very large grocery chains, for over 18 years, and I still have all 10 fingers, thankfully.

That almost changed today.........first, I was trying to square off the slanted end of a maple log to prep it for the lathe.......the big blade just took it out of my grip, and I was using a miter guage to back up the cut and give it support........the log rolled and was thrown back at me when it slammed the table, and my hands were drawn way too close to the blade....... SCARY!

Later I was trying to sharpen a bit for my monster rig, and had it held against the platform with my fingers.............it slipped and my finger was pulled into the grinding wheel.........took off the end of my finger through all the skin, and part of the nail.

I will make myself a block to place the cutter bit in from now on........the grinder is usually thought of as somewhat benign as wood working tools go, but please be careful.......it can do you harm!!!

I am done for the day............time for some due reflection about safety on my part.......I hope for you too!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-03-2011 at 7:55 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Sadly, I've had a log thrown at me from the band saw, same thing, it slamed down on the table, hit me in the chest, pushed me back 5 feet or so and finally caught my breath in 5 minutes. Ended up being fine, but a lesson, hopefully forever, was learned. I have'nt made a clamp block for the small bits yet, thanks for the reminder. Sorry about your episode and hope you heal quickly, I would imagine the end of your finger burns like all hell!

I hear ya Roger. I found a knot buried in a peice of cherry that the table saw blade grabbed, along with my hand. I had 3 pro woodworkers come by so I could see what I did wrong. They all said it was a freak thing. 65 stitches, pins and 3 surgeries later, I'm still a heck of a guitar player, and a more cautious wood worker too!
    I think near misses...or a hit, make us better. Glad you made it out ok and came up with some better ways to handle those tasks.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I have a previous bandsaw mishap in my past which sent me to the ER. Didn't lose any fingers but very close. I have not experienced this type of mishap on a bandsaw but I think about it a lot.

As for the grinder, I do mine by hand, too, so I will need to rethink this, too. My tool platform is flush to the grind wheel but I'm still at risk for a nasty abrasion.

Thanks for the safety posting.

I've sustained more injuries from a bandsaw than any other tool (and both of them were before the age of 13). I have a nice scar on my chin from cutting a round workpiece that caught, rolled and shot up at me. Even the more "benign" power tools have some serious risk. Thanks for keeping us vigilant.

Hey Roger,
    Sorry you got hurt. Hope it never happens again. If I lost use of an index finger, my typing would be twice as slow as it is with both.
    faust

Yup, all that. Glad you're OK...well, it could have been way worse, we all know. I'm very familiar with that old bandsaw and grinder tricks. In fact, I've done it enough times to prove the point that I apparently didn't learn the first time! Still got all my fingers and such, but you're so right - in the blink of an eye, it can all change.

Nuthin' with a moving blade or part is benign!! Roger, sorry you had mishaps, but glad nothing serious! We have all been less than cautious at times - it just takes a split second!

Sorry to hear you got hurt, glad it wasnt worse then it was. I could swear I have seen a jig for the monster rig boring bits somewhere recently I just cant remember if it was one someone made on their own, or if it was a commercial for sale version, if I remember where I saw it I will post it up here for ya.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Call me chicken but I clamp my monster cutters with vicegrips. Also, as mentioned are jigs, or it would be easy enough to make one methinks. Glad you were not hurt more seriously.

Glad it wasn't more serious Roger. Amazing how many things we do that end up seeming rather dumb later. Figure I can say that since I've been there done that relative to bandsaws and grinders.

There's a sig line around here that pretty much sums it up...something about things with teeth and meat. Hope everything heals up alright!
    Mick

Sorry to hear about your mishaps Roger. Had the same thing happen 5 yrs ago on my bandsaw. Won't do that again. Also made a aluminum 3 jigs with a set screw to sharpen my cutters. One for each size cutter. Yep I have a finger that has a scar. Heal quickly.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

14. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes..........this will heal up in 2 or so weeks........nasty wound, but thankfully in the grand scheme of things it is still considered a minor wound.

Lets ALL stay safe out in our shops!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger --- Hope you heal quickly, and are able to get back to turning soon. As you may remember, I had a bit of a mishap of my own about a month ago involving three fingers, so yes, I know what it does to typing, not to mention dish washing and other household chores. Two are now fully healed, the third just lost the scab a few days ago, but is still in the process of filling in what the jointer removed. All are still tender. I just started typing with all fingers yesterday - it is a big relief, but still have to go gently. Glad I have one of the new, short throw Mac keyboards. No guitar for this picker for another month or two I suspect.

Tylenol works surprisingly well for that sort of pain, the oxycodone they gave me made me sick after the second day, so I quit taking it.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome