Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluebell of Happiness (Revised)

Bluebell of Happiness (Revised)

This is 4" across at the rim and 13" tall. The "cup" is maple burl and the base/pedestal is ebonized rosewood.

This piece combines some of the elements I have been playing with (or stumbled into) over the last year. The "cup" is a variation on the "bulb and bell" form I have, for better or for worse, become enamored of. This one has an elongated "bulb" and a shorter "bell", pretty much the reverse of the previous ones.

The last time (or is that the first time?) I reached for the blue dye and slapped it on a piece of maple burl it was a spur of the moment "flyer" that I got lucky with. This time around, I at least had an idea of what to expect and the process was much more controlled and intentional.

The pedestal stem and base incorporate the "trumpet" design that, on the last one, I resorted to as another "bail out". Also the ball detail at the top of the stem, a separate piece of maple burl finished to match the cup, again in (hopefully) a bit more technically refined form.

As usual, I was much more excited about this while I was making it than I am now that it is done. Seems to be the way it goes. Already thinking about the next one!

bluebell_1.jpg

I added a new pic below. Much better image and a revised detail...
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 05-05-2011 at 5:00 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Beautifully done David. I really like your base on this and the last one. Simple yet very elegant. Beautiful job on the dye as well, the ball looks like the planet Earth.

3. Exquisite! Even though the bulb is elongated, it is still a great form, and is beautifully done. The coloration is striking with the lighter streaks, and I like the ball in the pedestal as well. Distinctly DeCristoforo! Bravo!

David, can you size your pics to show more detail? This one does not let me get close enough to see the figure very well in the wood...........just wondering.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

fabulous job with the dye.

I think that would look awesome in person.

David, Ya know, you are getting kinda good at those . Beautiful piece. I am playing around with a piece trying to decide what style finial I want on it. One thing that becomes very evident very quickly is that you gotta have darn good tool control and you have it.
    I turn, therefore I am

Wow. Can I say that again?
    Wow. and again.
    Wow.

Your pieces really appeal to me - a pic of this one will join the pic of the HF I think of as the peacock on my wall in the shop -

Wow. Gorgeous.

(I guess I don't need to say it again...)

Really cool DD!!! The bell is not something for me...but the rest is over the top! Another WoW cover in the making!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Looks good to me! The blue dyed maple burl is killer looking... I love how the bits of cream and brown refuse to turn blue. I really like everything about this piece. On a future version of this, I wonder what a little bead detail at the junction of bulb and bell would look like? Just wonderin'.

Yeah...A Wow from this side of the planet too. My word....the whole thing is an entire conversation all its own.

something odd about the picture though....like an optical illusion that creates a tilt between the stem and the body. It's making my eyes go crossed!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I see the "tilt" as well, but I think it is the light source from the left side that is blurring the defined left edge. David, you do a wonderful job on these, and while I personally do not care for this form, it is extremely well done! Very high fashion, and very classy. The "new" stem design is better IMO. Great work!!

Beautifully done David! I really love how the dye job turned out and the pedestal is outstanding as usual.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

There is a bad distortion in the image. I need to re-shoot this from farther away. I think I was zoomed in too close trying to "crop" the image in the camera rather than on the computer. Something else has been bothering me about this and I just realized, looking at it again, that the transition piece between the little ball and the bottom of the cup is all wrong. I just finished turning a new one that follows the line of the cup better. Probably won't be able to swap it out till tomorrow but then I'll reshoot it.
    David DeCristoforo

next thing ya know David will be putting his house on a pedestal

David another beautiful piece. I really like the color and the form is top notch.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

"...next thing ya know David will be putting his house on a pedestal..."

Shhhhhhh... quiet! Don't give him any ideas. Wats wrong wit chew?!?!
    David DeCristoforo