Thread: Long arm craftsman radial arm saw

Long arm craftsman radial arm saw

A guy told me he had seen a 10" Craftsman RAS with a long arm that would crosscut 29".

Anyone ever heard of this, or is this guy pulling my chain?

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    I don't know if he's telling the truth about a 10" saw, but the following is from a craftsman site:

* Item# 00922010000
    * Mfr. Model# 22010

This Craftsman Professional 3 hp 10" Radial Arm Saw features Laser Trac technology designed to assist in aligning the blade to the work piece. With a sturdy work surface for large work pieces and a built-in accessory shaft, this radial saw is durable, versatile and exceptionally strong.
    The Delta 33-400 14-inch Radial Arm Saw offers extra cutting capacity with the extra-long turret arm on this heavy-duty radial saw. Crosscut up to 29 inches and rip up to 41 inches "
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-05-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If it's some new and current import from Sears, I would not be aware.

The largest RAS sold by Sears (that I know of) was the DeWalt 12" 7790 badged as Craftsman. Here's a black DeWalt just like the last Sears saws in the '80s catalog:

The 7790 has about a 16" crosscut capacity. No way even the rip capacity is close to 29"
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 05-05-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Per the Sears ad Lee found:

Odd that Sears includes specs of a BIG 33-400 Delta 14" RAS in their 10" RAS ad! I don't get it. But that spiffy 10" RAS does not have 29" crosscut OR have a 3Hp motor either. "Developed Hp" happens just before a motor lets it's smoke out! That's nothing new. Sears has been increasingly hyping their stuff for around 40 years now. This 22010 looks like a "normal" Sears 10" RAS to me:

Sears RAS 22010.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Nope, the one he was talking about is a20 years old or so, and looks just like any other Craftsman saw of the era. I think he was blowing smoke. I will see him tomorrow and get to the bottom of it.

Rick

A Craftsman saw will cut 29" if you make 2 passes One from each end

I would not be surprised. I thought Craftsman made an odd duck that had a pretty small blade and motor with a long carriage for a while

Maybe its an OMGA! Mine cuts 29".

Nah, probably just blowing smoke......

Question answered. Here's the skinny....A guy puts a Craftsman saw he inherited from his dad on CL, looks up a Craftsman web site and copies the description almost verbatim. Unfortunately, a Delta saw's specs somehow get mixed up in the Craftsman site. One person tells another about the 'long arm' Craftsman RAS, and a legend is born...repeated by dummies like me.

Lee nailed it!!

I do like Rich's explanation better though.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Noterman View Post
    A Craftsman saw will cut 29" if you make 2 passes One from each end
    I bet that's the ticket!