Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need shoulder plane advice!

I need shoulder plane advice!

I want to pick up a medium shoulder plane to fit tenons, etc. My preference is to buy American, so I have been looking at the Lie-Nielsen for $195. However, the Veritas plane is $16 cheaper, $179, and has the adjustable handle. I could see the handle being an advantage in terms of how it fits in the hand if it is designed well. If not, I could see how it would be uncomfortable. The Veritas being made in Canada doesn't bother me nearly as much as something made over seas. I have not had an opportunity to hold either plane.

Also, are the blade adjustment mechanisms on both planes similar? I know on their bench planes the two manufacturers use different adjustment mechanisms. Veritas uses a Norris style adjuster I think. Anyway, I'm just looking for advice and comments from people who have used one or both shoulder planes to help me decide which one to buy. I'm sure both are probably very fine planes.

Made in America (except possibly the blade being made in France), the Ron Hock shoulder plane kit, bevel down. 100% custom fit to you...

(Just to muddy the waters a bit).

p.s. I have the Medium LN shoulder plane and you can't go wrong with it.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Chris Schwarz wrote up a pretty good comparison at WK Fine Tools.

Being Canadian, I'll let the buy American comment alone.
    New Canuck Workshop

I have a large LN and a medium veritas. For a medium, just personal opinion, the fixtures included on the veritas to aid in grip are very worthwhile. For the large if you're using it for joinery, maybe it's less of an issue because there's more plane to hold on to and you're not going to be doing that much planing.

I have the Hock shoulder plane kit. I don't much care for it. I liked it at first, but the adjustment mechanism is like a typical wood plane. Tap and wedge. I don't find it easy. I'll end up getting a Veritas at some point.

Looks to me like if we "Buy American" it looks like we could buy from 20-25 countries (depending if we count the Caribbean island nations).

And incidentally, I firmly believe the LV Medium Shoulder Plane is the best, not because I have one, but because a lot of people say that and I want one..
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I had both and sold the Veritas. I think the grip is awkward.

However, I kept my Veritas large shoulder plane because I like the side-mounting front knob. As I recall the Lie-Nielsen is a bit wider than the Veritas, but I'd have to verify. Both are equally good tools--just different.

I have the large Veritas shoulder plane and, with my big ol' hands, the knobs are fabulous. I angle them until they rest in the crook between my thumb and index finger. My hands provide the force, freeing my fingertips for angle control.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

As Brian said, the US has no exclusive claim on the "American" description; and, last I heard, LV makes all their Veritas products in North America. So I'd advise you to buy the product you want.

Last time I got subsumed by the "Buy America" hordes was in 1978 when I bought a Harley cafe racer instead of the BMW cafe (R100S at the time); and I regretted it for three years as the Harley shook itself to death as I rode down the road. Fortunately an R90S owner lusted after a Harley cafe and we effected a very beneficial trade. Peace at last.

Pam

Let me just clarify, because I think some are getting too caught up in my comment about preferring to buy American. My preference would be to buy a product manufactured in the USA, but I am also fine with Canadian made products since our countries have a close relationship. I own some Veritas products and they have all been first rate. The comment wasn't a knock on Canadian products, it was a clarification on my earlier comment about wanting an American made product, meaning US made as it is commonly understood. Since I stated my preference of buying a US plane, and Veritas is not a US plane, I didn't want comments saying I should eliminate the Veritas plane because it is not made in the USA. I probably should have kept the origin of manufacture out of my question to begin with and just asked about those particular planes without bringing other considerations into the mix. I appreciate the information. I'm leaning toward the Veritas at the moment.

Blog Entries
    "Buy USA" aside, both are quality tools. Your satisfaction will depend on how they feel in your hand. Impossible as it is for me to believe, some folks find the LV medium shoulder plane hard to hold. I was lucky enough to get to try the LV and LN side by side. Both are great, the LV just felt better in my hand, Your hand may have a different opinion.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have a LV medium shoulder plane. Before I bought I had the chance to try both at a couple shows. I decided on the LV, but I have to say it was a tough call as I do really like the look of the LN. Can't go wrong with either. I went with the LV because I thought it fit my hand just a bit better. I think I would go with the LN for the Large.... maybe I will go LV to make a matched set....
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

<<insert comments about canadian liberalism and their human rights commissions here>>

I hear you on buying American. It's enough to push me over the edge, and in some case totally dictate my decision. I would buy LN or LV every time based solely on that.
    Last edited by john brenton; 05-06-2011 at 3:20 PM.

I bought the LV medium for my 1st shoulder plane and used it for about a year. After going to a LN show I tried out there small (5/8") shoulder plane. No to be confused with there bronze shoulder plane. I owned both for about 2 years and recently sold my LV medium because I love the smaller LN plane, and always grabbed it over the medium. It is a little narrow in some cases but I prefer that. What I love so much about it is it is lite weight, compared to the medium planes, it can easily be used with one hand. I only have average size hands I could use the medium with one hand but it required be being careful as to not drop it. The LV grip is awkward if only using one hand to in my opinion. The small from LN just fits like a glove it is my favorite hand tool, and it isn't even close. I like the fact that it is 5/8 compared to 1/2 as well. But if I were stuck on buying a 3/4 shoulder plane I would try to hold each one and see what one feels better. The LN and LV both require different grips.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget Bridge City, their shoulder plane is $2,200 and solid stainless steel.

It does have a thicker blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)