Thread: Target EM9000 for a kitch table top?

Target EM9000 for a kitch table top?

Has anyone used Target EM9000 on a kitchen table top?

I'm looking at the following for a finishing schedule, to match kitchen cabinets I did 18 months ago. The first three steps are the same schedule I've already used with great success.

1) General Finishees Seal-A-Cell, 1 coat wiped on--for color on the entire table
    2) Target UltraSeal-WB shellac, 2 light coats on the entire table 24 hours after step 1
    3) Target EM6000, 3 coats on the entire table
    4) Target EM9000 2(?) coasts on just the table top. From reading Target's forum, EM9000 can be sprayed over 6000 after 8 hours.

I'm thinking I'd actually mask the table aprons before spraying the additional coats on the top. I'm wondering if I should do one less coat of 6000 on the top to avoid excessive build?

Looking for any advise, lessons learned, etc.

No experience with EM9000, but I have a kitchen table project in the works which I would be interested in this finish schedule.

What is the logic though behind the EM6000 and then the EM9000? Both are clear coats, unless you plan on dying one of them. Do you just want a thicket build-up? (just read you don't, so really not sure your reasoning on the 6000 plus the 9000)

Also, I noticed that their WB-shellac comes in amber, garnet and golden red. You didn't specify which color you are looking at.

Maybe it is my inexperience (I have used a lot of em6000 though), but parts 2 and 3 seem to be redundant with parts 1 and 4, respectively.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

2 acts as a barrier between the oil based Seal-A-Cell and the WB lacquer. I usually use the Garnet but color isn't much different if at all with this schedule.

The EM9000 is a lot harder than 6000 which is why I'm looking at it for the top.

Yeah, I somehow overlooked the shellac as a bond coat. I haven't had much experience with the WB Shellac (is there any/much performance advantage over normal alcohol based shellacs?

Doing some reading on the same subject, here is what a Site admin at Target coatings had to say in regards to someone asking using EM6000 on chairs and then EM8000/EM9000 on the tabletop.

Both offer very similar physical resistances to chemicals/scratches. However, based on your schedule and the fact that you will be using EM6000 on the chair I would suggest that you go with the EM8000cv. It's a durable product and will match the look/feel of the EM6000 more closely then the EM9000 will.
    Given that, unless you want a thicker buildup on the top, I would just EM6000 the chairs and then use the Seal-a-cell/WB Shellac and them EM9000 on the top.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"