Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling wire for230V Saw thru 3/4" Conduit - What a work out!!!

Pulling wire for230V Saw thru 3/4" Conduit - What a work out!!!

Lessons learned:

If you have a few 90 degree sweeps & 90 degree down-turn (junction box) - use a helper!

Lube the wire

Maybe I should have just pulled to each turn, rather than the entire length at once.

The result was a push-pull-tug-jerk-sweat process. I had a decent taper where the 3-wires were hooked to the fish-tape & I figured using 3/4 PVC conduit was going to make for an easy 40' pull.

The consequence is that while I got the wire through, I've noticed about every foot or so ( of the exposed end) a small amount of the clear plastic coating on the sheathing is scraped off (probably from making the downward turn through the junction box). The sheathing of each wire appears untouched. I'm assuming that's nothing to be concerned about. Am I correct in this?

Mike,
    If I am by myself, I'd usually try to pull straight runs if possible (in your case it sounds like I'd have done several pulls). They do make deflectors that help prevent the chafing issue when making a turn in the box. As long as it is only the outer clear shell that is chafed, you are fine.

I'm no expert and I'm sure others will chime in...

the way that I did it was to pull a couple of feet of cable out of the first turn and go to the next box and pull that amount out of the second box
    pulling cable thru. a 90 or 45 degree bend are toooo hard

Mike, what size wire were you pulling?

A couple of #12 or #10 plus a ground should go through 3/4" conduit almost by itself.

And yes, any time you run through a pull elbow or box you'll need a helper or split the pull into sections...............Regards, Rod.

Rod,

It was #12, 3 wires total

If the conduit is external to the wall, I pull in sections, then assemble and install in sections until I get to the end. That way, for 90* bends, the only thing I'm sliding over the cable is the elbow. I use plastic conduit, however, not metal.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    Not to pick and I've done it your way too, but a code compliant installation requires the conduit run to be complete before conductors are pulled.
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Roblin View Post
    Mike,
    Not to pick and I've done it your way too, but a code compliant installation requires the conduit run to be complete before conductors are pulled.
    Murray
    what do the code say about a 4x4 box at every bend in the conduit

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    what do the code say about a 4x4 box at every bend in the conduit
    I'm not an electrician and am not up on all code requirements. I recall that enclosures are not to be used for directional changes in a conduit run, but I don't have a reference for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelsey View Post
    Rod,

It was #12, 3 wires total
    We often pull a sub panel service (3-#6's and a #10) in 3/4" EMT. Use radius sweeps for turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Roblin View Post
    I'm not an electrician and am not up on all code requirements. I recall that enclosures are not to be used for directional changes in a conduit run, but I don't have a reference for that.
    That is not true. In fact code states that you can only make a total of 360deg of turn (or 4 90's) before installing a pull point (often an enclosure).

Mike, I got a chuckle. We routinely pull 12-15 #12s in a 3/4" conduit several hundred feet. Code allows up to 18. I would not pull "through" a box as the edges can be sharp and nick the insulation. Boxes are normally pull points. That probably made the pull much harder. By the way, the clear plastic on the out side of the insulation can be scuffed without affecting the insulation. Hopefully you didn't cut the insulation, you will know when you power it up. Your probably okay.

How many bends? Code allows 360 degrees between pull points, & this includes conduit offsets so if there are 4-90 degree bends & some offsets, the run is non-compliant& the more bends the harder it is to pull wire.

Doug.
    Thanks for the correction. I looked through the NEC but couldn't find a reference to my recollection.
    Murray.

The pull first went up from the panel 4', then a 90 degree sweep horizontal to the floor, straight for 20', then another 90 degree turn, then 10' to the 4-way junction box, then down 10' to the receptacle.

BTW what is the correct way to pop out the "tabs" in PVC boxes? Just tapping with a screw driver didn't always work It was hard to get a smooth break - took a lot of filing/sanding to get a rolled edge!

Thanks for all the help!!

I use a hole saw to cut openings in PVC boxes. I've never found a PVC knock out that would come clean