Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's see those plywood carts!

Let's see those plywood carts!

My "swing out" storage rack has to go.
    Not that it didn't work,,,it's just that my needs have changed & I need the wall space it's taking up.

I'm going to give a roll around plywood rack a shot.

All I need is something basic on wheels - but - I'm open for any add ons that might make sense.

Wood just had one in the July issue which I received yesterday. I have one similar and suggest following the advice of the article. Making one bin 50" across. I discovered I could not store my MDF wide cutoffs, in the one I made which is 48". Don't go cheap or small on the castors and I made mine all swivel. I'll try and post a picture later of mine later.

Dan,
    That's the article that got me thinking about a roll around sheet goods cart.

This one is for plywood and other lumber also. It looks like ShopNotes only has fairly recent back issues, but there is a cutting diagram available online - http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issue...-store-all.pdf. Ask me if you want more details...
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...

Scrap wood Plywood cart

I finally went and took those pictures. Here is my cart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wood Magazine also had one awhile back. I just built this one only I made it 6 ft long. It still handles full sheets fine. I have 8 3/4 sheets on it now.
    http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/shop-organization/roll-around-plywood-sheet-cart/

Cecil

Has anyone built one with a vertical orientation? I have headroom in my shop (10' ceiling), but almost no usable floor space remaining. I'd like to make one that holds the sheets vertically, but I'm concerned about how large the footprint might have to be to avoid tipping.

I utilized a home-made sheet/wood cart at one point but between it being 'tippy' and having to move it constantly to get it out of the way (again) I unscrewed it and salvaged the components. Maybe a better design would work but I don't keep full sheets around for very long. Don't have the space.

-Brian

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ete&highlight=

been using it for 4 years now - it is mobile but hasn't moved much in the last year or so

Here's my work in progress. I wanted to minimize floor space so I made it vertical orientation, but I also had a design constraint of an 8' 6" garage door I wanted it to go through. I didn't think I'd get the strength I needed in the space I could spare, so I used 1" square steel tubing. This will be covered with a 1/4" plywood skin.

Let me know if you are interested in the Sketchup model.

Rack 3 whole iso-sm.jpg

I built one very similar to Erik's, except mine is a vertical design. It works well, one side is for plywood (maybe 5 full sheets), the other side is sectioned into bins for cutoffs, the hole in the center is also sectioned off into 3 horizontal bins, I keep moldings in these. If anyone wants photo's I can take a couple.

Photo Mar 31, 3 13 12 PM.jpg
    this is the one I built. has plywood storage on the back

Lumber Rack1.jpgLumber Rack.jpg

Mine is 8' long, and about 3' wide, and 6' tall, with 8 casters under it, and with a channel down the middle for sheet goods, and one side devoted to racks for hardwoods and long pieces. The opposite side is more free form, with shelves for odds and ends, and an area for smaller sheet goods. The far end has racks for two pairs of sawhorses. These are some dated photos, as I do not keep my clamps up front any more since I built a rolling clamp rack, but I think you can get the idea. If I had to do it over, I would put bigger casters on it, as these are like 2" diameter, and I would put 3-4" casters if I had to do it over, though they do have metal wheels as this thing is heavy.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Some good looking carts here, but I chose to go store bought http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/New-Ma...triggers/H7544 . As solid as you could want and holds a 18 sheets of 3/4 with no problem. The out rigged casters give it great stability.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Lots of good ideas - thanks!

It would be nice to be able to go vertical, but, the ceiling is too low.

I did manage to get a screaming deal from Great Lake Casters on some 5" swivel ones - $5.00 ea!
    Enter a promo code of CM and they knock of 25% - which pretty much pays the shipping.