Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend my money!

Help me spend my money!

Kind of a long summary, but I feel like all the info is needed to get the best possible advice.

I got bitten by the woodworking bug a year and a half ago when I bought a Ridgid R4511 when HD was blowing them out. Since then I've added a Ridgid jointer, planer, bandsaw, and DP (all new 50%+ off) and turned 1/2 of the smallest 2 car garage in the world into my 'shop'. I've also added a small 7.25" slider miter saw, bench belt/disk sander, a couple palm sanders, handheld router, pancake compressor and nailers, and a Jet 1.5hp DC with a Thein baffle and soon to be Wynn filter. I also have 10-12 pipe clamps, 4-24" parallels, 4-40" parallels, and a dozen or so 12" HF bar clamps. I'm light on the hand tool side only having a set of Narex bench chisels. (Yes, I got bitten hard!)

I haven't built much along the lines of 'fine woodworking' yet - I've focused on building up shop fixtures (its getting close to how I want it), a few built-in painted pieces for the house, etc to learn on.

Anyway, here is the crux of my dilemma. I've been saving up lately for a router table. I got a Jessem lift when they closed out the latest version, and recently bought a PC7518. I even have a space (36Wx26Dx36H) in my shop under a table waiting for a router table on wheels. But then I started looking at the INCRA TS/LS Router and Table saw combo.

I'm not entirely sure what exactly I want to build in my woodworking hobby. I envision everything from household furniture to home improvement to small boxes and gifts etc. I'm only 27 so I have the whole having kids and losing all shop time phase to deal with yet but I always envision having at least one stall in a garage as a shop. Thinking about only having a small shop makes me lean towards the INCRA setup incorporating the TS and Router table together to save space and saving the space under the table for something else later.

So, great community of woodworkers out there, I have about $1000 saved and ready to pop on an INCRA combo but wanted some advice, etc before I do. What am I leaving out? Where would you spend the money? Any other advice? Hit me with whatever you got. You guys amaze me everyday with your advice, skills, projects, etc. I love my morning coffee and SMC.

Thanks in advance.

I built my router table into my table saw for 2 reasons. it was part of the foot print of the saw with storage under it and I can use the table of the saw for support on larger parts.

I did not purchase a pre built table I made my own out of melamine and baltic birch ply. I made a fence that attached to the fence of my saw with a dust port in it. For the router lift I bought a kreg lift for the fine adjustment.

I spent about $100 on the table assembly (lift was a gift) that would leave you 900 to buy pretty wood to start haveing some real fun with and make things that last generations for your kids to say dad made that.

Kirk

I'd personally recommend putting a good chunk of that $1k towards some very good squares, straight edges, measuring devices and - believe it or not - fasteners!

A good supply of #8 square drive screws in, 1" through 3" lengths is somthing you'll always need. In retrospect, I should have spent $100.00 on good quality screws from the get go. Just a month ago, I spent $50.00 on Kreg pocket screws...
    A good Starret combo sqaure is expensive, but, it's something you'll still have @ 97 and can pass down to your grandchildren.
    Same with a good set of straight edges.

Anyhow just a thought...

Oh yeah, router table(s). Somebody here posted a picture of a real slick three router/router table they'd made. It's the perfect ticket for blowing out a lot of raised panel doors & rails & stiles.

An alternative

I was in the same position, three years ago.

The desire to have things can be strong, but misplaced.
    I took a few courses that show ways to use the tools I already own.

Personally, I dislike routers because of the noise and mess generated.
    They are so fast, that I can ruin a piece of stock quickly.

Hand tools require a more deliberate approach, keeping me from taking off too much.

If you attend a class that supplies tools for student use, you can take a survey of the things that really work for you.

If you must buy the bright and shiny implements, search craigslist.

<site:craigslist.org name of item>

If your search returns lots of hits, that's an indication that the tools are appealing but hard to use.
    If you do find something you're after, you might save money on it for other things.

Your time is the most valuable thing you will spend.
    Work with nice wood. (Local sawyers or high end cabinet shops will help you find some.)

Wood

Which router table setup is a question you can find a lot of discussion on here. I built my own with a lift and incra, and love it. I do feel even a basic incra type fence positioning system is a critical part of a router table.

You have the basic parts for a great setup with either way you go. One consideration on a combo setup vs stand alone, is the tradeoff in shop space vs convenience of setup.

I use my router table a lot. I also use my tablesaw a lot. Having a bit setup in the router table with the height and position set is very useful on a job. I can then prep an extra piece of stock using the table saw, etc, and bring it back to the router for an operation without losing the setup.

My vote would be the router table (and I would recommend building your own)

But having said that, I might suggest dividing at least a portion of the budget for some nice wood. If you had a little wood sitting around to stare at, you would be motivated to dream about what you might like to build with that wood 'just sitting there'. Then build it! (note those more organized and like to do proper planning, might recommend deciding a project first, and then making a material list and procuring - but I like to build a project to match whatever material at hand, and find more projects get started this way because I have this adversion to tedious planning)

And the second if you have anything left over - a good vice, and some hand tools (planes, scrapers, saws).

You don't need a router table. Quit procrastinating and use the money to buy some nice wood and build something nice. I produce a lot of nice stuff out of my shop. You would be surprised how few tools I have.

I too let the wood "talk" to me about what it will become. Funny how that works.

Bret

Wellllll, now - hang on a second......a lot of guys get a lot of use out of a router table. I have 2 routers, but no router table, because the stuff I do rarely demands one. Twice I have made a one-off table ouf of scrap ply + boards for a specific task that could not be done well nor safely via hand-held.

From time-to-time, I have definitely considered a router table setup, and if/when I ever need one, I will definitely mount it in the TS extension - simply due to room constraints. I simply don't yet have a "plausble excuse" for a good lift + PC 7518. But - there is no doubt that if I had one, I would use it fairly often.

Having said that, Kurt - Incra absolutely makes top-notch stuff [I have an Incra miter gauge], but there are less expensive and still effective ways to get there IMO. Pretty ssure I've seen some threads here where clever guys made their own fence for a TS-mounted router + lift.

Rich is right [even on the screws - I don't even wanna know the inventory value of my screw storage drawers #6 - #10, 1/2" - 2", zinc, brass, SS - plus specialty stuff] about measuring, marking, layout tools. The things that I use the most, day-to-day, every day, are Starrett 12" combo, Starrett 4" double square, Starrett fractional dial calipers, Veritas saddle square, a set of 3 Groz squares that were pretty inexpensive....you get the point. Oh - and the 3 DC remotes I have staged around the shop [read: lazy + forgetful]. I should have gotten the calipers and saddle square years before I actually did.

The mistake I made starting out was that I thought that better and more cool machinery-type stuff would overcome my lack of knowledge and experience. I learned that was wrong. None of that stuff was, ultimately, a waste of $$, but it did not get me to the end game any faster - I still had to learn.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have to agree with several others. You don't need more tools, you already have more than enough for what seems like your current skill level. You need to spend time using them to make a cabinet, a table, whatever, make something you want or need. That process will show you how well you and your tools work, where the shortcomings of both are, and where both need further tuning. I built a lot of cabinets when I first started out with not much more than a table saw and hand held router. Sure, it took longer, and there were things I couldn't do or had to do the long way around, but I learned a lot about how to get the most out of those tools and out of myself, and when I did buy a new tool I knew exactly what I wanted and why I needed it. Challenge yourself to make something, buy some wood, and see how you do. Let the results be your guide as to where you spend your money.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys. As always, SMC comes through with different advice from different perspectives. Keep the thoughts/advice coming!

Perhaps some of the posters missed the point that the you already has a PC7518 and a Jessem lift. This combo is the most expensive part of a router table. Given your space constraints it seems getting the Incra TS LS III and the TS extension router top is all that is left. Incra is currently having 10% off. The fence is $400 and the router top is $200. This still leaves you $400 bucks for a starett square, some wood and perhaps a few router bits.

Of course you don't need the $400 Incra fence to have a nice RT. But if you go and look up all of the posts of people who added this fence to their Rigid saw and say WOW what a difference. You are getting both a great TS fence and RT fence all in one go.

11. I think a router table is a great asset in the shop.. OP, if that's the setup you'd like, I'd say you should go ahead and get it.
    As Todd pointed out, you already have the lift and router, it would be kind of silly not to get a table at this point.
    It's possible to "get by" without any tool, but a router table is a great add.

Different strokes for different folks! I quite frankly, couldn't get by without my router table. I started out with a box store table and fence I got for $99.00. It has served me well for what it is, but I have outgrown it, and am in the exact same place you are right now. I have finally made up my mind, and am going to go with a custom granite tabletop, Incra PRL V2 lift, and an incra LS fence. Now I just need the cash.....

This works great for me

http://www.benchdog.com/pdf/Bench_Dog_2009_Catalog.pdf

Check Page 9

It all depends upon what you want to build.

In 35 years I've never owned a router table or electric router except for a laminate trimmer, which is a one trick pony for me.

As others have said, buy some nice wood, make some nice stuff, then see what direction you want to go.

You probably need more layout and marking tools, more chisels and gouges, and more hand planes.

Have fun............Regards, Rod.

2 sheets of 3/4" MDF, glued together with the convex sides to the middle )( make a great RT.
    Use the router to make the insert hole, and build whatever kind of box or cabinet to hold the table.
    Paste wax on the table, and you're done. Here's my cabinet made of 1/2" BB ply.

Sunp0039.jpg
    SUNP0048.jpg
    Sunp0043.jpg

SUNP0004.jpg
    SUNP0027.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night