Thread: Anybody speak Festool?

Anybody speak Festool?

In particular the TS 55 circular saw? I'm debating purchasing either the TS 55 or TS 75 and wondered what you fine folks think about the value and performance of these saws. I would mainly use one to break down sheet goods.

Jeff

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    If you are only going to break down sheet goods (which is what I do with my TS-55), then I think the TS-55 has all the power you need, and it is lighter and more manuverable than the TS-75. Joel recommended the TS-55 when I described to him my intended use.

Hi Jeff,

I have the TS 75 and have used it both for breaking down sheet goods and for squaring off the ends of a 4" thick ash bench top (taken in passes). It works great, and for sheet goods it's way easier and safer for me since I usually work alone and don't have extensive infeed and outfeed for my table saw.

I went with the 75 since I knew I would be using it on the bench top, and I wanted the extra blade depth and power. You won't be disappointed with either, I think.

Best of luck,

Mike

Either or,,,,,,or the DeWalt.
    The DeWalt can get closer to a wall & has a built in stop to prevent kick back.
    Two important features if you ever see your uses expand to doing floors.

I went w/the TS55EQ. I like the lighter weight.
    It's got ample power for single sheets of 3/4" & even enough power to trim bottoms of solid oak doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey Scott View Post
    In particular the TS 55 circular saw? I'm debating purchasing either the TS 55 or TS 75 and wondered what you fine folks think about the value and performance of these saws. I would mainly use one to break down sheet goods.

Jeff
    For breaking down sheet goods the TS 55 is quite sufficient. It SOS lighter weight than the TS 75. Of course weight is not important when you are running it on the track. I went with the 75 because I thought it would be useful for cutting thicker stock, and I don't regret it.

Vijay

One nice thing about Festool is that you have 30 days to try out a tool & be able to return it with no questions asked if it does not work out.

Got my TS 55 before the TS 75 was available so didn't get to make a choice.

Cutting sheet goods, extension jambs, flooring, doors for retrofit and any other task within the limits of it's depth of cut have been no problem.

I purchased the saw for it's precision, dust control, general features and apparent quality to do what I envisioned doing with it which did not require a larger saw.

I've got both (thanks to a really wicked 2nd hand deal on the 75). For most of what I do, I still reach for the 55 first, just because of the weight. Then again, I'm not a pro and I'm not trying to break down three sheets of 3/4" ply at once.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think the TS 55 would suit me for 95% of the time, I just have to get over my "bigger is better" mentality that draws me to the TS 75. The added weight and size would get tiresome after working all day with it.

Jeff

I echo the sentiments of going with the TS55, which is what I did as well. If you have the chance locally, handle both of them. The 55 is significantly lighter. Not a big deal for a handful of cuts, but if using it all day, you'll notice the difference. Enjoy!

I got the TS 55 after making a mess of a sheet of oak plywood with my circular saw and an angle iron guide. For breaking down plywood sheets, the 55 is more than enough for this purpose; but it is also great for trimming a smidgen off the bottom of a door that rubs the carpet. With the guide rails controlling the cut, this set-up is almost like using a sliding tablesaw. A lot less expensive also.

I have the TS75 after first buying the TS55. The dust collection is better on the TS55 and the TS55 is perfectly adequate for single sheet work, but since my use was pretty much exclusively in the shop, the weight didn't bother me, and I'm kind of the "buy the biggest then you won't be sorry later" mentality, I traded up.

Cut quality is equally good on both saws.

I have the older "55" sized plunge saw and it more than meets my needs. I can only thing of one time that I didn't have the depth for a cut and that was easily handled in a different way. For how I use the saw, the lighter format is more appropriate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...