Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-term stationary tool storage

Long-term stationary tool storage

Hi, I'm Mark. I've been lurking here for a while.

I recently purchased a home in the humid southern USA (Gulf coast area), but it has one serious problem, the garage is devoid of tools.

I'm a little concerned about buying new stationary tools and dealing with rust, or having other problems due to lack of use (for various reasons I wont have much woodworking time over the next 5 years, maybe a 3-4 weeks each year). I had problems before with my old table saw in the days of yore when I lived in Houston.

To control surface rust, is paste wax on all the unpainted surfaces appropriate, and enough protection for this climate? I'd hate to treat the cast pieces with anything that needs a day of cleaning everytime I return to the shop.

Anything else I should worry about for long-term storage, e.g. belt rot?

Another options is to hold out for another year or two to equip the shop, and spend my free time golfing, but reading this forum has me pretty hyped to start building...

I'll have a few more questions in the coming weeks as I work out my tool shopping list.

Thanks,
    Mark McFarlane

I have some machines that I use infrequently and have found that covering the top with polyethylene (after waxing)and taping the edges down good to keep moist air from condensing on the surfaces does a pretty good job of keeping rust from forming.
    Dave

Mark:

I live in the Houston area and had the issue of rust myself. After cleaning the rust off a few times (days of work) I finally got smart when I purchased a new machine and it started to rust in a week or two. I installed a dehumidifier in the garage workshop. I keep it running all the time and run a hose out of the corner of the garage door to get rid of the water. As long the workshop is reasonalby well insulated and closed up, a good dehumidifier should work fine. I have a large two car garage that I use for woodworking and since installing the dehumidifier the tools rarely have any rust. I do put past wax on them and if I am not going to use them for a long time (a month or so) I go out and check them to put another coat of wax on them. I don't know if it will work for you. But, it was a tremendous help for me.

My stuff sat in an unheated garage, unused for 4 years. When I started using stuff again, there was no rust. None, Nada, Zero All I did was to spray the metal surfaces with Corrosion-X. Strongly recommended. YMMV

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-heavy-duty.html

How slippery is Corrosion-X? Do you clean it off before using the tool?
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amabile View Post
    Mark:

... I installed a dehumidifier in the garage workshop...
    I guess I could water the flower garden this way. An interesting idea with other practical working benefits, thanks Richard. But in south Texas that dehumidifier would run 24*7 for a lot of the year.
    Mark McFarlane

For long term storage, I use a paper product which is impregnated with a corrosion inhibitor. Uline sells a pretty affordable version of this. Part number is S-7054. I usually apply it with a light coat of spray lubricant, I use a Mystic product(the red stuff), but any easily cleaned stuff is good. The key is to cover all unpainted surfaces, and touch up all places that used to have paint, but do not now. This method has worked for me for years...we used it at Delta, Black and Decker, and I use it on my own tools currently in storage. And I too am in South Texas. Just about as south as you can get.
    Mick

If your tools sit directly on the concrete slab, they will draw moisture up into the works.
    If you can place a vapor barrier directly below each machine, this migration will be reduced (but not stopped).

I would suggest you consider buying a bandsaw for most jobs, and get a track saw to break down large panels.
    Most of us think a table saw is required to make furniture - it's not.

I have found a great way to avoid the rust from humid air. I don't think there is a better way. No product sold will perform as well, yet it is pretty cheap. In fifty years I have never had this not work.

Live in the west where it is dry......

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I have found a great way to avoid the rust from humid air. I don't think there is a better way. No product sold will perform as well, yet it is pretty cheap. In fifty years I have never had this not work.

Live in the west where it is dry......

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mark
    Mark...I have to admit that that is the best rust preventative. My father bought a bit of the western Arizona desert...about 5 acres near the California and Mexican Border, nearly as remote as you can get. There are old vehicles littering the desert down there...sandblasted, what glass remains is frosted from the blowing gravel and sand, and not a speck of rust.

Blog Entries
    I'm from central MS and you don't get much more humid than here. There is nothing that will entirely prevent rust. Even in best of circumstances, you get a patina not machine killing rust. I wax all my machines and if colder weather is coming thru, cover to prevent surface condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    For long term storage, I use a paper product which is impregnated with a corrosion inhibitor. Uline sells a pretty affordable version of this. Part number is S-7054. I usually apply it with a light coat of spray lubricant, I use a Mystic product(the red stuff), but any easily cleaned stuff is good. The key is to cover all unpainted surfaces, and touch up all places that used to have paint, but do not now. This method has worked for me for years...we used it at Delta, Black and Decker, and I use it on my own tools currently in storage. And I too am in South Texas. Just about as south as you can get.
    Mick
    Thanks Mick, interesting stuff. $99 for a lifetime supply (200 yds). Do you spray a lubricant on the surface , then cover with the paper, press it down to the lube, and tape it in place?
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Most of us think a table saw is required to make furniture - it's not.
    Quite true, no machine is required to make furniture, but some machines make the process much easier, and certainly less time consuming.

As for rust, in addition to the recommendations for dehumidification and barriers, air movement, such as from a ceiling fan, is also said to inhibit it. I wish I'd left mine on when I was out of my shop for an extended period.

To answer your question, furniture paste wax is OK to use. You don't want anything with silicone, such as auto wax.
    I also put HTC machine covers on my machines.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks everyone for the wealth of ideas. In summary, suggestions so far are:

- Coat in furniture paste wax
    - Cover with plastic, tape edges (to inhibit surface condensation)
    - Coat with lubricant (Mystic red stuff) and cover with a Uline VCI anti-rust paper, #S-7054, $99 for a 200 yard * 36" roll.
    - Install a shop dehumidifier
    - Coat with Corrosion-X ($17 for 16 oz spray can)
    - Run a ceiling fan
    - Put a vapor barrier under the machine
    - Move from South Texas to Western Arizona

I still haven't heard if Corrosion-X leaves a workable surface (slick, non-wood-staining), anyone know the answer?

Is the Mystic Red stuff the JT-6 grease? Sounds like a good anti-rust solution but cleanup would be a bear...
    Mark McFarlane