Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova G3 info

Nova G3 info

Anybody here have info on the pitch of the grub screw for the G3. I noticed as I was turning the little pot, that when made an 'emergency' stop, the chuck continued to turn. When I investigated, I saw that there was no grub screw. I've lost it or??? The manual states that it is a 6mmX6mm shss, but no pitch given. I'd rather not carry the chuck to the hardware store with me.
    Any info?
    Mickey

Sorry, no metric thread gauge, so don't know if this will help, but mine is dangerously close to 27 tpi.

Mickey, I just ran one of my set screws through a 1/4-28 die. Some resistance, but it still went through. I reinstalled the set screw into the chuck, and it was good..... You might get away with 1/4 28 set screws if you can't find the metric equivalent.......Jerry (in Tucson).

Just looked at a metric thread chart, all it lists for 6 mm is a M6 x 1 pitch. http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-metric.htm

Hmm, mine lists a 1.0t/mm(coarse) and .75t/mm(fine).http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...ads-d_777.html Unfortunately my thread gage will not fit into a 6mm hole(what were they thinking?). I have a note to teknatool help desk, but I've a feeling they will try to sell me one, rather than volunteer 'proprietary details'. We'll see...
    Last edited by mickey cassiba; 05-07-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added link to thread chart

The Nova grub screws are the same size (6 mm) and pitch as the jaw screws. I've found them in the little drawers in the local hardware stores where all the other metric nuts and bolts are kept. If you don't want to take the whole chuck to the store with you, why not just take the insert? One of the jaw screws would also work as a size reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sebring View Post
    The Nova grub screws are the same size (6 mm) and pitch as the jaw screws. I've found them in the little drawers in the local hardware stores where all the other metric nuts and bolts are kept. If you don't want to take the whole chuck to the store with you, why not just take the insert? One of the jaw screws would also work as a size reference.
    Ahh cool...the jaw screw I can fit my thread gage on.
    Thanks Jim!!!

Ran out this morning and picked up the screw(got a couple. just in case, ya know?) When I got home I found this in my inbox:

Dear Mickey,

Sorry to hear you were missing the set screw. The Picth is 1.0 Were you also missing the fibre wad???
    Let me know I can send you the items free of charge if you send me your address.

That is customer service done right. Not only did he provide the info I requested, but offered to replace the parts with no quibble.
    I declined the offer, as the price of the screw was $.67, and the shipping for a replacement would have been 10 times that, not to mention packaging, etc.
    Too many times, we like to unload on bad service, but acknowledgement of good service is all to rare.
    Just sayin'...

That's why we buy Nova chucks------------the older I get ,the more I want good service.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I am going to show my ignorance - when you say "grub screw" do you mean the set screw that fits in the base of the chuck? My woodriver and nova chucks came with them but I never used them - still in the drawer. I haven't had any problems with the chuck coming loose though. Also have the fiber wads but didn't know what to do with them! Should I change my practices?

That's what I mean, the set screw. I had to make an emergency stop the other day, lathe stopped, chuck didn't. Ran the work into the toolrest. Then it stopped. And if I am looking at the part list right, the wad protects the adapter threads from the grub screw. Don't know about your practices, but I'm installing the screw, just in case. Might have to slam on the brakes again. I am, after all a newbie to this, and trying to figure out most of it without any(except online and video) help. Never know when Uncle Murphy's gonna show up.
    Last edited by mickey cassiba; 05-09-2011 at 6:29 PM.

Mickey....you are doing the right thing and....most often those screws are used should one decide to sand in "Reverse"....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I know Ken...and my little lathe has no reverse, but the blank was heavy and the 'panic stop' (grabbed the handwheel while I killed the power) allowed the chuck to unscrew. I didn't notice 'til I fired it back up and it screwed itself back on(strange noise!) Good thing the tool rest was there to catch it.
    MC

Well I will start using them - Like you I am fairly new at this and learn by asking questions here, reading and video. I need to join a club and get some hands on tutoring!

Only two of the red fiber wads are supplied with a chuck to provide a cushion between the set screw and the spindle. Once mine were shot (about two uses!) I started using #7 1/2 lead shot pellets in the grub screw dimple. Just ask a shotgun reloading friend for a few pellets.