Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AAW - Saturday CREEKER MEETING!! DEADLINE

Exclamation AAW - Saturday CREEKER MEETING!! DEADLINE

So far, there appear to be at least 20 creekers that have indicated their intention to attend the AAW Symposium in St. Paul. Greg Just and Doug Swanson are going to help organize at least one creeker meeting, and we need your help!!

We would like to meet in a restaurant and eat a casual meal and share some time together, and a head count is critical to trying to reserve some space - if we can. And, we probably need to be doing it as quickly as possible. The thought is to be within walking distance of the RiverCentre.

We first considered meeting on Friday evening, but decided that most folks would still be taking in all of the sights, the Instant Gallery, and the various other activities that will be going on the first evening. The banquet is Saturday night, but that still seems to be the best bet on getting attendance at a gathering. I will not be attending the banquet, nor will Steve Schlumpf. I suspect others may not, as well. I realize some will, but whichever evening we pick, for one reason or another some will not be able to attend.

So..........if we try to meet at a restaurant Saturday evening, how many of you folks would be able to attend?

I don't think my wife and I will be going to the banquet either. I would rather spend the "banquet" money on some burls on Sunday! So count my wife and I into a Saturday night diner, just tell us where and when. Sounds like a good time in the making.

....guess I need to get around to paying for the entry fee before the deadline for the early discount goes away.....
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I will be there. I have not paid for a banquet ticket yet so It is not in my plans at the moment. So I could probably attend.

Alan

Do we think getting John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf in the same room together is a good idea for the rest of us?????

My wife & I will be attending the banquet. Yes it may be a little pricy, but as far as I'm concerned it's not to be missed.

John...I've paid for and will be atending the Banquet & auction
    on Saturday nite. Will watch the postings for any change.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

I will be a the symposium and paid for the banquet. Since I haven't attended one of these before, I figured I should give it a try. I'll be there on Thursday so either Thursday or Friday would be better for me.

I am looking forward to meeting my fellow Creekers.

Cheers,
    David

I was wondering when there would be a thread like this. The segmented group is having a get together on Friday.

Quinn

Count me in for Sat evening, not sure about my wife right now.

Dan

Let me clarify that we are not, in any way, trying to compete with the banquet nor trying to entice folks to avoid the banquet. I encourage each of you to go if you have considered it. We are just trying to find the best night to meet. If Thursday evening is better, that might be a possibility.

Friday evening, there seems to be a lot to see and do with the symposium, and it seems either Thursday or Saturday would be better. Folks will be traveling Thursday, and may prefer to rest up or be getting there late.

In addition, I am sure there will be lots of opportunities for creekers to meet and share a little time throughout the symposium.

I may be able to make Saturday as I generally do not go to the banquet. You can go to the auction after the banquet is over. But, if I can't make it be sure that you stop at Doug Thompson booth and say "Hello" as most of my time will be spent helping Doug. You might want to think about having a Creeker Exchange at this dinner, you bring a piece and get a ticket. The tickets are drawn two at a time and those two exchange pieces. Just like we do for the WOW Exchange. Any of the Creekers live in or around St Paul? It is really hard setting up a long distance reservation, you might want to contact the AAW and see if anyone there can help out with a restaurant in the area. Also on Google Maps you can get a birds-eye view of the area that shows most of the restaurants. The rotation schedule is on the AAW website and you should start looking and deciding which rotations you want to see. You should reserve at least two hours for the Instant Gallery. Any woodturning tool that you have ever seen plus many that you have never seen will be available on the sales floor so be prepared to open your wallet numerous times. Preplanning for some of your time is important if you have not been to one of these as it is overwhelming as to what is going on every day.
    Hope to see you there,
    Bill

John,
    You are not competing with the banquet as they could not seat everyone if everyone wanted to go. Saturday is your best bet as Friday night has the SIN events from 7:30 til 9.
    Bill

Thanks, Bill! Good information on the activities - and the economic side of things!!! Someone suggested previously not taking the credit card - might be a good suggestion.

Greg Just and Doug Swanson are both local and are assisting with the logistics of this. It does sound like Saturday evening is best, so we will stick with that. We won't be able to accommodate everyone's schedule, but we do hope a few creekers can meet.

There are a number of good restuarants within walking distance of the River Center. As soon as we get a rough idea as to the number attending, Doug and I will find a place.

John,

Please add 3 more to the list for a Creeker gathering Saturday evening. Duff and Debbie (his wife - my sister), and I would love to attend.

Linda