Thread: Need some input on shelves, please.

Need some input on shelves, please.

I want to make some portable shelves that I can take from place to place, with the least amount of storage space/weight. But they also have to look decent, as they will display other wood items (I'm a woodturner. Well, a novice, but with high hopes!). I only have a table saw, miter saw, router table, jigsaw, drill and circular saw for doing flatwork, but I think that if I use s4s lumber (1x12, etc.) I think that will be enough. My big question is, does it look feasible to be able to build then pack up, move, assemble, and be sturdy and dismantle for transit back home.

Sequentially, the first image is the three shelf supports, 1x12x4'6", with notches cut for shelves & supports.

#2 is with the shelves installed, with slots cut for wedges.

#3 shows the wedges in place.

#4 has the braces in place. These may need dowels to keep them secure.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Allen

I don't see the need for the wedges. They add little to prevent wracking. And notches in the edges of the shelves would keep them from sliding sideways, without the wedges.

Wracking is the big issue. Adding those triangular gussets should do the trick, but that's a lot of extra pieces to carry around with you, and there's not much to keep them from just falling off the dowels.

That is an interesting design. My thought about the wedges is that they will work, but not as well as you would like. It reminds me of an arts and crafts bookcase that I did a year or so ago. In this design I used 1x2 lumber for the uprights. I used mortise and tenon joints, but you could use dowels if you want.

ArtsCraftsBookcase.jpg

Years ago when my wife was doing craf fairs I made some display shelves of similar design. I handled the wracking issue by making two of your end pieces per end, and these were hinged to open to 90 degrees. They were quick to put up and take down, and sturdy.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I'll have to consider the hinges. They add weight, though.
    Allen