Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Ukulele Build

Blog Entries

First Time Ukulele Build

I am getting ready to embark on my first attempt at instrument making. I have wanted to build a Uke for a while, just because I would like to have one around for trips to the beach and to have in the shop with I need a Little break...

I have done some research picked up some plans and a few tools should be here mid week... fingers crossed.
    Going to attempt the build out of QS Cherry and Purple heart, maybe not the first choice as far as easy for a first try, but I have it laying around so why not.

Any advise you may have would not fall on deaf ears. I hope to turn this into a build thread so updates as well as questions will most likely follow.

first question. lets start at the end. Recommend a good finish, easy to apply finish. economy would be nice. I have a HF sprayer so that is an option. I was thinking of potentially trying a water based finish, I have used Minwax WB ploy, not my favorite but not a terrible finish. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

One of the folks building a harpsichord from my e-book is a ukelele maker. I contacted him and he'll be glad to talk with you about your uke project. He's a terrific guy and a very talented maker. Here's his website. Click on the "Business Cards" link on the right of the screen for contact info.

Hope that helps you - good luck with your project.

Ernie
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Consider a TruOil finish. It may be just what you're looking for. I'm playing with TruOil on my necks because I LOVE the feel, and I may switch to that. I think it's some sort of modified linseed oil (modified to get it to dry a bit harder/faster than boiled linseed oil). You could investigate varnishes too. FWIW, I think you can even get TruOil in spray cans now, though I fail to see the point as it's incredibly easy and convenient to just wipe it on.

Blog Entries
    thanks guys.
    John I will have to look into the truoil.
    I got some work done on the uke today.
    sides are bending, the neck is roughed out and I have it roughly shaped. top and back are glued up. fretboard is roughed out as well...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Gibson

I finished a violin with Tru Oil years ago. It had been dried for months before I got around to stringing it up. Months later,I noticed that the Tru Oil had squished out from under the bridge's feet,all the way down to the bare wood. It was like this finish never really gets 100% dry. Had to strip the violin and put on proper varnish. I have been afraid of the stuff ever since that. I think that an instrument left in a case for some time might get the case lining welded to the Tru Oil. Pretty finish,though,but be warned,please.

Blog Entries
    Thanks George, I will make sure to do some finish samples regardless of what i use.

I checked on the sides this morning and I am not sure I am going to be happy with the results of simply cold bending. I may have needed to let the sides soak longer, or it may just be the cherry. I also had a piece of the form swell or something and it gouged one of the sides. I plan to slice a few more sides today and see if I can't make a bending pipe. If that endeavor fails I will soak a second set of sides and clamp them up tomorrow... It's nice to be able to resaw my own sides as it makes it easy to make more when I mess a set up, or to adjust the thickness.
    Andrew Gibson

I'll tell you what bends like a noodle: Beechwood. It gets incredibly flexible when soaked in hot water. You need to clamp wetted sides in a male and female mold tightly,or the sides will wrinkle up and down their height when they dry. This could take a very long time to dry,though. Why do you want to bend the wood wet? Best get them moist and bend them around your hot pipe till they are bent and quite dry. When I was 13,and had no one to tell me how to bend the sides,I made big messes trying to soak maple and bend it wet into the mold. Wrinkled all over the place.

When you do clamp wet wood between an inner and outer mold,any bandsaw cuts in the mold will get impressed into the softened wood.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-12-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks George.
    I went out back and found a piece of pipe and made my self a bending pipe. It worked quite well.

I am definitely enjoying this adventure into the world of instrument making.
    Andrew Gibson

Blog Entries
    I have been making steady progress i believe... took this pic before I glued on the top.
    Andrew Gibson

Do you play the ukulele?

You're making great progress!

Blog Entries
    Nope don't play. I have had the desire to learn to play the uke for a few years now, but wanted to learn on one I made. I have always been interested in instruments and have wanted to make them more then play them. I took Piano lesions as a Kid and Guitar as a teen, but never really got into it. for some reason the idea of a uke just sounds fun, and I have really been enjoying this build.
    Here is a pic as it sits tonight.

Ooh the label says
    Sideways Eight
    Because Gibson was Taken
    Andrew Gibson
    No.1
    Andrew Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post

I took Piano lesions as a Kid and Guitar as a teen, but never really got into it.
    I'm not surprised!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmAe...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 05-14-2011 at 6:34 AM. Reason: Adding Uke link.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caspar Hauser View Post
    Haha, Half the time I swear the spell check makes my spelling worse.

That video was quite amusing.
    Andrew Gibson

Blog Entries
    Some more progress has been made... basically all that is left is the binding and to glue on the fretboard and the bridge. I couldn't resist so I strung it up to see how it sounds. I was fairly pleased, it sounded like a ukulele. I really want to put finish on it but I know I need to wait till after the binding is done, and I am waiting for the bit to come... worst thing is I am going out of town in Wednesday for a week, so I will have to wait till I get back to finish it up.

I followed the planes I had for a compensating bridge so hopefully the intonation is good... though I don't think I would be able to tell the difference either way.
    Andrew Gibson

I just did my second one,(I am 70) and love it! I found LOTS of help on the net, and would share if you want. What is the bout size's you used? And using Tru-oil is great, and does dry, just wax after to seal!! I play, found a group here that helped me and a teacher who is great.
    Jim