Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compressor draining

Compressor draining

Do you guys completely empty the compressor every night, or do you just open the drain until water stops coming out, close it and call it a day?

John, we have 2 90gal. compressors at work, we drain them once a week. We installed black pipe extensions with 1/2 turn gates, makes draining them a very simple and quick job. My compressor at home 30 gal. gets drained maybe once a month.

Even though the 25 gallon compressor tank has Teflon lining, I completely empty the tank of air. Some opine that is overkill, but I look at it as cheap and easy preventative maintenance.

At first, I closed the valve when water stopped draining. Then one time I noticed that more water started to drain after it stopped and air was still draining. No air; no water.

once a month . I have i belive a 20 or 30 gal. works for me. I take it out and open up the valve and with air the water come out very fast. I tilt the tank back and forth so water still blow's out than when it is through so are you

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I installed one of these, maybe 8-9 years ago ... ... ...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WIL...to-Drain-4KT04

it drains itself, maybe a dozen times a day or more ... but only for a few seconds each time.

Whenever I remember to, or once a month. Whichever comes first.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Usually, after each day of use. Sometimes, I forget.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I have a portable compressor that I don't use very often, I drain it after every use. When I managed a motion picture lab I had automatic drains that opened up every time the compressor cycled on. Once a year I had an inspector evaluate the tank for wall safety as was required by code in San Francisco CA. I have a couple of auto drains and oil separators that I am going to install when and if I set up a large stationary compressor that I have had for several years but haven't put on line yet.
    David B

So I guess the general consensus is to drain the tank of water, but it's okay to leave it filled with air otherwise.

you got it
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

John,et al... please be aware that rapidly expanding air cools quite rapidly. when expanding through a small port or nozzle it can drop to 32 F quite rapidly, thus freezing any water trying to pass through. If you shut the cock at the first sign of sputtering, or even complete airflow you may not be draining all of the water from the tank. Also do not attempt to 'test' this by holding your hand in front of the nozzle. This can result in a severe injury...ice crystals embedded in your flesh.There is a scientific name for this effect that I never bothered to learn...it's the same effect that allows your air conditioner to cool the air passed through the coil. I drain my 4 gallon at the end of every day. The small tank can be refilled in minutes. The larger tanks I managed at work were drained every week.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    I installed one of these, maybe 8-9 years ago ... ... ...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WIL...to-Drain-4KT04

it drains itself, maybe a dozen times a day or more ... but only for a few seconds each time.
    +1, except that I bought mine at McMaster Carr. It was about 30% less than Graingers...

I treat my compressor the same as my TV. I leave it on.
    That way I can get something newer and better sooner.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I drain mine according to humidity. If it is really humid, I will drain it completely every night. If the ambient air feels dry, I wont drain the tank at all-just the filter.

I drain mine completely every night, then tighten it back up in the morning before I turn it on.

C