Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Mallee Platter

1. Wow, that's nice wood and a great shape in turning. Will you go gloss or satin for the finish?

Where's the foot?

Art

That's just purdy. I love the color and patterns of the aussie burls...just gorgeous. Really nice form on that David, hard not to like a bowl that looks a pleasure to hold.
    Stuff it hard as rock I imagine. I've turned it once and it rattled my bones till I got past the natural edge stuff.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks for the comments folks. Hart, my wife does like this piece... She actually said, 'Don't give this one away' which is high praise coming from her. JK, this wood is far to hard and heavy to make splints with... Anybody wearing this thing on an arm for 6 weeks would have some serious shoulder issues.

Quote Originally Posted by neil mackay View Post
    David, great looking piece, Red Mallee is one of my favourites. I tend to feel guilty if I dont use a bowl saver. Just chewing up all that grain pattern and dumping it on the floor doesnt sit well.

A simple form yes, but the color and grain structure more than make up for it.
    I don't have a coring setup, but this burl has got me thinking about one... I figure if I can core this stuff then I can do concrete as well. I've got another large burl that I'm going to do a commissioned piece with... I may wait until I get a coring setup before proceeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Manansala View Post
    Wow, that's nice wood and a great shape in turning. Will you go gloss or satin for the finish?

Where's the foot?

Art
    This one is going to be shiny I think. As for the foot, be patient with me... I'm still finding my way in the world of footed forms. This piece actually has a very large base(1/3 to 1/2 half of the form), and I don't know how to make a foot look right when it's that large.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Walker View Post
    Let's see......1 for you...2 for me...does that mean I get the other two thirds? Really nice work on that, the gloss ought to really set it off.
    I'm happy to share this stuff with you when you come down. Beware of what you ask for though, this stuff is as hard as a rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    That Mallee is awesome (really need to get some of that). Like several others have said, its all about the wood with Mallee. I don't know how you can mess up Mallee with any shape. My personal favorite form for it it the bowls with the very large turned down rims that are thinned. They look like burl thermoform!

Great job, and if you have too much of that...... well..... we are only across the state line (give or take!) !!
    I'll have to find some examples of that form, Scott... Sounds like it might be a good one. If you're ever in the neighborhood, give me a shout... I've never looked to see how far apart we are, but I might be able to make a day trip some weekend if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    That's just purdy. I love the color and patterns of the aussie burls...just gorgeous. Really nice form on that David, hard not to like a bowl that looks a pleasure to hold.
    Stuff it hard as rock I imagine. I've turned it once and it rattled my bones till I got past the natural edge stuff.
    Hard doesn't even begin to describe this stuff. I did the majority of the form with a heavy scraper... I seem to get better cuts with scrapers than any other type of tool.

Another beauty Doc. Just a tip. I tried to core a redgum hurl on a pm 3520 and it stalled violently 5 times. I ended up coring it with a bowl gouge. That is a awsome piece. Thanks for showing.

Such a nice piece. Let's see 2 more......Australian burls are always wonderful.

The prettier the wood the simpler the form. And since this is about as simple as it gets, I would say it is perfect fit! Great looking piece!

7. I agree with Baxter, a wood with this beautiful grain pattern looks better on a simpler form. I've only turned a couple of pieces of Aussie burl and man were they a hard wood, it felt like I was turning petrified wood.

Stunning! Nothing else to say -

thats what is known as "letting the wood be the star" as far as i'm concerned you couldn't have done any better

absolutely spectacular piece of wood

That is a great piece of wood. I have used it in the past. One of the items I made I filled the inclusions with silver and then finished it. Really stood out

Not sure how I missed this the other day when you posted it, but this is very nice, what a great looking piece of wood to!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Gorgeous piece of wood and the form fits it to a T! I really like this one!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice piece. How did you reverse turn? Jamchuck?

David
    I really think it was a wise decision to leave the edge a little thick. It allows us to get a full look at the points. The colors and figure are fantastic. The simplicity of the form keeps our focus on all the is going on. As you say you can study this piece for a long time and just enjoy it all.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks all for the kind comments and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chadwick View Post
    That is a great piece of wood. I have used it in the past. One of the items I made I filled the inclusions with silver and then finished it. Really stood out
    I'll keep that in mind, Lee... I don't know if the remainder of this burl is wormy or not. I'd love to see a photo or two of the piece you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Very nice piece. How did you reverse turn? Jamchuck?
    Thanks, Eric. I pretty much reverse everything on a jam chuck, and that's how this piece was done. I don't own a vacuum chuck, and I'm too cheap to buy one at this point.