Thread: Cicadas

Cicadas

They're out. Noticed them this morning. On the back porch listening to a symphony right now. Might as well try to enjoy since it'll last for the next 5-6 weeks.

better you than me...this is the first year I haven't heard them down here(he said with fingers crossed)
    Mick

Not warm enough for them here yet, but they sure sing in the summer! (July & August)
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

One advantage of being partially deaf in the higher frequency range is I can not hear the hiss of the cicadas without my hearing aid. Can't hear crickets either.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    One advantage of being partially deaf in the higher frequency range is I can not hear the hiss of the cicadas without my hearing aid. Can't hear crickets either.

That would be an advantage. It's amazing how loud those things are. I guess it's cause there's so many of them and they seem to all be singing the same song.

They start a little later here. I have never developed an appreciation for the "symphony". We do, however, have a lovely nighttime frog chorus that I enjoy.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Yes, our frogs have begun...have for a little while now. We love hearing 'em. As for cicadas, I actually don't mind them. Feels homey to me. Of course, every 17th year it is a bit much...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Frogs are okay. In fact, their chirping is kinda relaxing. You know everything is alright if they're chirping. Unfortunately, not any around me so I resort to you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dR1bUmavc0

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    They start a little later here. I have never developed an appreciation for the "symphony". We do, however, have a lovely nighttime frog chorus that I enjoy.
    do you think so, WELL wait until you step on a big bull frog

I remember when my sons were young the group and there friend would walk through th house and it would be deafining. Each one had all there pockets full and they were all making noise. On the other side of the fence I remember when we had frogs, lizards of different species, fireflys and you could look up at night and see thousands if not millions of stars. We trade the benefits of somethings for the loss of others.

While fishing lilly pads and weed beds in Canada (yearly trip )we came to realize that just about every cove has a bull frog "protecting" his cove.
    I drink, therefore I am.

What you are hearing is the 13 year Red Eyed Cicada. This is the emergent year! THey are beautiful bugs... loud too!

Mike