Thread: What sweep # gouge = 1/2" Diameter hole?

Blog Entries

What sweep # gouge = 1/2" Diameter hole?

Can anyone tell me what sweep # gouge would have the same curvature or as a 1/2" diameter hole?

In other words, if I were trying to use a gouge to outline 1/2" diameter circle, would sweep number should I use?

I appreciate the advice!

Mike Allen

"start with the #9 sweep gouges because they are true half circles. In this range of sweeps, the radius of each gouge is very easy to calculate since it is one half the width of the gouge (which is equal to the diameter of the circle). Thus, the one inch #9 gouge has a radius of 1/2", while the 1/2" #9 gouge has a radius of 1/4"."
    more details on other gouges at the site.
    Hope this helps!
    Dave

All gouges below sweep 11 (in the Swiss system) are arcs of circles. However, finding one that has a radius of 1/4" is done by trial and error. It doesn't have to be a #9 gouge. You can use any sweep, but for a small radius like 1/4" you'll do better to try in the high sweeps, maybe 7, 8, or 9. As the width gets smaller, the radius gets smaller, in all sweeps.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

just out of curiosity.....why?

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much Dave and Mike for the information -- very helpful!

Randall, the reason I'm asking is because I am making some handles out of Cocobolo for a set of dovetail/backsaws I'm trying to build. I don't have a drill press and I'm struggling to drill the shallow 1/2" diameter holes on either side of the handle with a Forstner bit to accommodate the split nuts.

Due to my lack of talent and/or the inaccuracy of drilling perfectly perpendicular hole with a hand drill in really hardwood like Cocobolo, I haven't been able to get the shallow 1/2" diameter holes for the split nuts to line up perfectly concentric with the through hole for the bolt itself. I wanted to use the gouge to "adjust" the edge of the shallow holes to allow the split nut heads to seat.

I know this seems like a sloppy "solution", but that's where I am. I'm sure I can make this whole problem go away with a drill press and some sharp bits, but that's not in the cards for me and I was hoping to at least salvage all the work I've done so far on the handles with the gouge.

Although I am a long-time user of hand saws, this is my first attempt at building some scratch. I've learned LOTS of lessons along the way, chief among them - it's harder than it looks!

I appreciate the help and suggestions!

Thanks, Mike

No expert, by any stretch of the imagination Mike, but in looking through my vast assortment of Pfeil gouges, I'd look at a #7 -12mm sweep...

Just a thought...

Regards,

Steve
    Projects begun with quality tools, take much less time to accomplish !

Thanks for your support !

Steve

Neanderthal Haven is the place to be. We have a professional sawmaker right there, as long as several other people who have made their own handles and saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Thanks very much Dave and Mike for the information -- very helpful!

Randall, the reason I'm asking is because I am making some handles out of Cocobolo for a set of dovetail/backsaws I'm trying to build. I don't have a drill press and I'm struggling to drill the shallow 1/2" diameter holes on either side of the handle with a Forstner bit to accommodate the split nuts.

Due to my lack of talent and/or the inaccuracy of drilling perfectly perpendicular hole with a hand drill in really hardwood like Cocobolo, I haven't been able to get the shallow 1/2" diameter holes for the split nuts to line up perfectly concentric with the through hole for the bolt itself. I wanted to use the gouge to "adjust" the edge of the shallow holes to allow the split nut heads to seat.

I know this seems like a sloppy "solution", but that's where I am. I'm sure I can make this whole problem go away with a drill press and some sharp bits, but that's not in the cards for me and I was hoping to at least salvage all the work I've done so far on the handles with the gouge.

Although I am a long-time user of hand saws, this is my first attempt at building some scratch. I've learned LOTS of lessons along the way, chief among them - it's harder than it looks!

I appreciate the help and suggestions!

Thanks, Mike