Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noden Adjust-A-Bench Anyone Using one?

Question Noden Adjust-A-Bench Anyone Using one?

Noden Adjust-A-Bench Anyone Using one?

I see Adjust-A-Bench is having a sale and I am considering taking the wood bench top off of a base that I made a few years back (not the best of bases and putting it on one of these). Does anyone have one of these benches or have used one? If so what are your thoughts and would you buy it again? Are there any drawbacks? Basically do you like it with comments?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard,

The Adjust-a-Bench prototype and a current version were displayed at the spring Northeast Woodworkers Association show (as were several other workbenches). My thoughts are this would be really useful in my relatively small workspace, so I bought the legs, casters, and rails. Have not yet completed the top.

The Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking has one and they advised the bench is excellent.

In searching the various woodworking forums, I did not find any posts from dissatisfied owners, nor were there any posts that identified drawbacks.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Falsetti; 05-10-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Jim Becker has one and had a write up on it one time.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I put a Festool MFT top on one. I use it as an assembly table and for glue ups so I'm constantly raising and lowering it. Very heavy duty and really saves my back. I bought the legs and casters. With the casters it move easily and can be quickly locked in place. I made my own rails and bought some threaded rod. It was pricey but I'd buy it again.

~mark

How pathetic is this: I bought one like 5-6 years ago. It is all still in the box! I'm still "gettin' 'round toit"....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Richard,

I have the the Adjusta Bench with the wide casters for three years now. Very solid. I put a 30" x 60" top on it from Woodcraft and made my own rails. Because of its design you are very limited in adding drawers or shelves underneath, although some have done it. The real questions are: Do I really need to use multiple heights in my work. If so, the bench will serve its purpose. Do I need to roll the bench around my shop? If yes, then spend the $130 on the casters.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    How pathetic is this: I bought one like 5-6 years ago. It is all still in the box! I'm still "gettin' 'round toit"....
    Sound like eBay time!

I've had one for about 6 or 7 years. Bought it from Geoff at a ww show. I bought the casters with the bench and a Sjorberg top from woodcraft. The bench would be great anywhere but especially in a confined space like I have. As mentioned above, there are limitations as to what you can put below it. Here are some examples of what some have done with theirs.

http://www.adjustabench.com/gallery.asp

Gary,

Thanks for posting the gallery link. Got a few ideas for my Adjusta bench

Paul

I've had mine for nearly 2 years, I bought the leg set only. I used my own maple bench top and made the castor support and leg brace. This is built what looks to be 11 ga steel and powder coated, the quality is great and comes in handy to raise the top to different heights. I would recommend the leg set.

Regards!
    Ed

One of a precious few good things to come out of Trenton, N.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    One of a precious few good things to come out of Trenton, N.J.
    Like the bridge painted saying goes "Trenton makes and the World Takes!" never could really get that one...

Not sure really what an adjust-a bench is, but when I was doing cabinets full time I had three assembly benches at different heights that rolled under each other, each longer than the one below. It was a major back saver. So....

The idea is a good one, and thats all I have to say on that......

Life is like a box of Chocolates

Larry

Yes, and I love it. I've been to Goeff's shop, too, and this bench was designed by someone who does incredible woodworking craftsmanship...he designed the bench system to support that activity.

Two weeks ago, I had the chance to visit Sam Blasco down in Smithville TX. He's added a second Noden Adjust-A-Bench to his shop...and Sam doesn't put things in that are not absolutely functional.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well it looks like all positive marks. I am looking at the legs set with the 28’’ wheel package. My bench top is 30’’ by 65’’ with two quick release vies one in front and one on the other end. I put in a phone call to Geoffrey today and an e-mail yesterday but have not heard back. For those of you that have the bench have you made a cabinet for the lower part or a shelf or just left it open? If so any pictures? I have looked on the web site at some of the cabinet designs but still not sure what I like best for under neath.

Thanks for all the input.
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006