Thread: Help with Rolled Crib Toprails

Help with Rolled Crib Toprails

My wife and I are expecting our first child (girl) in October.
    She picked out a crib design that she likes.....and I plan to make it for her.

However....one part has me stumped. The crib is the Graco Shelby crib and the ends are rolled over and I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

Here is a link to pictures on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Shelby-C...5135298&sr=8-1

I get that the shap of the legs is just bandsaw work, but on the 'left and right' sides of the crib...how do you get the rolled look to the ends?

thanks in advance.

Matt

Blog Entries
    First I would glue up several boards to get the desired thickness, gluing a layer of brown Kraft paper between the center two boards, insuring I had adequate thickness on each side for the desired diameter. Then I would find a wood turner and have him turn me a rod of the diameter I needed out of the wood I had glued up, insuring that the kraft paper stays at the center. Once the turning is done the rod should split (using a chisel) along the kraft paper line, giving you two semicircles. Glue one of these semi circle rods on each end and round over the inside with a hand plane and sander to match.

You could also cut a turned rod in half lengthwise with a band saw, but cleaning up the saw kerf will reduce your thickness slightly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee.

I see what you're saying, and those pictures don't really give a great look at it.
    It looks to me like it starts to curve....before the roundover part. (unlike the letter " P " with a straight light and a half circle attached to it)
    Am i making any sense?

I'm half tempted to buy the crib....get dimensions and patterns off of it.....improve upon it with my own design of course .....and then return it and build my own.

Matt

It's a little tough to tell by the picture, but is this the profile you're going for? If so, my first instinct would be to turn a rod, and using a jig with a straight bit on the router table, route out the area that will mate with the vertical board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

it could be.....i may just have to order it and check it out in person to get a good enough look at it.

thanks for looking and for the help though guys.
    matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Sollars View Post
    I'm half tempted to buy the crib....get dimensions and patterns off of it.....improve upon it with my own design of course .....and then return it and build my own.

Matt
    No need to buy one. Go to a local store that has one with your tape measure and a pad of paper. Take measurements on their floor, maybe even a few photos. I've done this before and most of the time the clerks are amazed that someone can even think about making their own. Some have even helped take measurements. If they ask why you don't just buy one tell them it isn't available in the wood you want. If they have a service department you may be able to buy all the hardware as repair parts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    No need to buy one. Go to a local store that has one with your tape measure and a pad of paper. Take measurements on their floor, maybe even a few photos. I've done this before and most of the time the clerks are amazed that someone can even think about making their own. Some have even helped take measurements. If they ask why you don't just buy one tell them it isn't available in the wood you want. If they have a service department you may be able to buy all the hardware as repair parts.
    I guess that depends on the store. I was reprimanded at a baby merchandise store for taking photos of a rocking chair!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark ten Haaf View Post
    I guess that depends on the store. I was reprimanded at a baby merchandise store for taking photos of a rocking chair!
    Photos yes, you probably need to ask first. Measurements, they generally don't object to.

I had a clerk get upset with me at HD the other day. I saw an item I was interested in and wanted to remember the item and the price to discuss with LOML. I whipped out my phone to take a photo and the clerk reported me to the store management. Incidently the store management said and did nothing to me.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-12-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!