Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stacking tires on Band Saw wheels

I guess it is never too late to reinvent the wheel.

The correct product is available, as well as other solutions that have worked.

Stacking tires has worked, but at a very low precentage and can create a dangerous crash.

You may want to try to buid your wheel up in dia. with BONDO and machine the wheel concentric to the bore.
    Use a epoxy to adhere the tires, you can crown the Bondo and be quite accurate with the thin tire epoxied
    and conforming to the crowned wheel.

Even though you did not purchase the tires from Woodworkers Tool Works.com feel free to give them a call for help.
    800 475 9991
    If I told you who I was or what I did, I'd get kicked out of here....
    (it's happened before...)

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    That isn't exactly correct, because NONE of the MiniMax bandsaws have either crowned wheels OR tires, and the tires are not glued to the wheels either. I "think" most of the Italian Bandsaws are the same as the MiniMax Saws in regard to being flat.

Note: I have no idea if the crowned tires are absolutely essential on his Delta Saw though, but he does need thicker tires, and I would be a little skeptical as to whether glue would hold two urethane tires together or not.
    Since the saw is a 1958 Delta, and not a MiniMax, and Delta recommended crowning tires, he needs to crown them. Either by an inner band on the wheel, or grinding them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Knourek View Post
    I guess it is never too late to reinvent the wheel.

The correct product is available, as well as other solutions that have worked.

Stacking tires has worked, but at a very low precentage and can create a dangerous crash.

You may want to try to buid your wheel up in dia. with BONDO and machine the wheel concentric to the bore.
    Use a epoxy to adhere the tires, you can crown the Bondo and be quite accurate with the thin tire epoxied
    and conforming to the crowned wheel.

Even though you did not purchase the tires from Woodworkers Tool Works.com feel free to give them a call for help.
    800 475 9991
    Bobby,

The tires he's getting are orange urethane, and I've never found an epoxy that will bond urethane to metal. (cast iron, steel, aluminum)
    The only adhesive that I have used successfully for this purpose is 3M 5200 marine adhesive. Over on OWWM, some have used urethane construction adhesive, but I have no first hand experience with that. If you know of an epoxy that will bond urethane to metal, I'd like to know about it! The 3M 5200 has a 7-day cure--if conditions are right!

Regards,
    Bob

Ok, just in case anyone sees this thread and didn't catch my last post, here is my solution, for now:

I found a set of tires from Sulpher Grove (they have an Ebay store). Each set comes with an upper and lower tire (orange, thicker than the blue ones) and a set of very thin tires (actually more like a narrow band) that goes into the grove of the wheel. This band is slightly thicker than the groove is deep. So, when you put the tire on, it creates a crown. The price is quite reasonable...even free shipping. I'm going to try these. If this doesn't work, I'll sell these, too, and just spend the money for OEM tires.

Also, for S's and G's, I took a couple of pics of the problem. Hope you can see it clearly enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Also, for S's and G's, I took a couple of pics of the problem. Hope you can see it clearly enough.
    Yeah. I see you have chipped paint. Shame.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Since the saw is a 1958 Delta, and not a MiniMax, and Delta recommended crowning tires, he needs to crown them. Either by an inner band on the wheel, or grinding them.
    Yeah Myk, my computer somehow ditched my first post when I clicked to post it, and in it, I stated that it was only for clarification that not all Bandsaws were designed to use crowned tires, so someone reading this thread that was unfamiliar, would not think they needed to crown the tires on a MM or other saw that was not designed to use them. (I got lazy in my second attempt to post), sorry about that. The difference in designs is interesting, in the way they affect tuneup also, such as with crowned tires or wheels, it is much more important for the wheels to be coplaner, but when you get a flat tired BS tuned properly and then check the wheels, they are rarely coplaner.

Mike, I'm glad you documented this thread with the pictures, because they really show how important maintaining the original tire thickness is to maintain a safe clearance of the blade to the table and or frame slot.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Norman, I feel ya about getting lazy/sloppy at the second attempt on a post. It has happened to me all too often that I write a long post, hit send, then either my computer locks up or for some reason the forum didn't get it. Too lazy to start all over, I give a half-#%%ed second attempt.

Anyway, speaking of lazy, I should have just taken and posted those pics in the first place. I didn't think it would be necessary, but obviously my descriptions weren't as clear as I thought.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Had to point that out, didn't cha...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Very interestin, Myk. No, I hadn't seen it. Thanks.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Let me get this straight.

A: You bought tires for your saw from Carter.

B: It's Delta, not some brand we never heard of.

C: The tires don't work correctly.

D: Thicker tires that will work are commercially available.

Seems to me Carter should refund your money, so you can get the correct ones. Have you asked them??
    Even if they don't, I certainly wouldn't do something Micky Mouse to your saw, or stack tires when the right ones are available.

My two cents.

Rick Potter

Thanks, Rick. I agree that I shouldn't do something Mickey Mouse to the saw. That is why I was asking. I was asking to find out if it was a viable option, if it was a Mickey Mouse fix, or not even a possiblility. Not sure if you saw my later thread with the solution I've come up with... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...eels&p=1702721
    I drink, therefore I am.

Well, problem solved! I installed the orange tires and that thin orange mini tire that fills the groove in the tire. The directions call for one (or more if you want to) 1/2" strip of Gorilla Duct tape to go on top of that mini groove filling tire. Then the orange tire on top of that. Between the orange tire being thicker that the Carter blue ones, and the mini tire/duct tape strip (to create the crown), it moved the blade to about an 1/8" from the metal body, and now I have a crown...so the blade tracked great.

Thanks for everyone's two cents! I appreciate it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Well, problem solved! I installed the orange tires and that thin orange mini tire that fills the groove in the tire. The directions call for one (or more if you want to) 1/2" strip of Gorilla Duct tape to go on top of that mini groove filling tire. Then the orange tire on top of that. Between the orange tire being thicker that the Carter blue ones, and the mini tire/duct tape strip (to create the crown), it moved the blade to about an 1/8" from the metal body, and now I have a crown...so the blade tracked great.

Thanks for everyone's two cents! I appreciate it.
    Are there rims on your wheels between which the tire sits?

The only saw I ever had which had a groove in the wheel, with a matching key in the tire, was an Inca. The key on the tire fitting in the groove on the wheel was the only thing which would keep the tire from sliding off the wheel.

On my current saw there are rims on the wheel which keep the tire from sliding off.

Does your saw's wheels have both grooves and rims?

Great, Mike

glad you came up with a good solution. That is a nice saw you have there.

Rick P