Thread: Can I install Concrete Tiles without a nail gun?

Can I install Concrete Tiles without a nail gun?

The online recommendations say that I need one to keep the tiles from cracking. I am covering a 10' x 10' shed. Is it worth it to buy or rent a nail gun or can I get by with a hammer for a small project like this?

I am using concrete S-tiles.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I would recommend a gun and at that you'll probably still want to figure alittle loss in the process.

You could certainly get by with just a hammer. I roofed a 24'x24' garage, when I was younger and less wise, with just a hammer. But today I would definitely try to use a gun. I would imagine you could could adjust the gun so it doesn't crack the tiles. Ask the people who rent the guns, they may know something.

HF nail guns are inexpensive and get great reviews. I bought their framing nailer recently. I have used it only once so far and it works well. I only have an occasional need for a framing nailer so it more than suits my needs. I paid around $90 and it seems to be money well spent.

Adam

Yes, you can hand nail the tiles. Also, the nails do not keep the tiles from cracking. They keep the tiles from sliding off of your roof. Did you know that the tiles can also be adhered with a polyfoam (polyurethane) adhesive. What is the slope of your roof?

Bill

That's not a bad idea, Adam. Since I don't know what I'm doing with carpentry, each step will have a learning curve. I won't be able to rent a compressor and nailer for HF buying prices. Using a nailer will be better for framing than a hammer, as well as for the roofing tiles.

I am making an effort to keep the whole project under $1,000, so bargains, free materials, and recycled materials are all considerations.

Blog Entries
    Every major project deserves a new tool!

Brian,

Do you own a screw gun? The tiles can also be attached with #8 screws.

Bill

Go for the gun. It speeds things up and unless you swing a hammer regularly your hands & forearms will thank you.

Adam

I just found a combo at a local home depot that I will try to pick up. It's not on the website so I'm not telling which Home Depot. I want to get there before all the quick people do.

Porter-Cable CFFR350C Round Head Framing Nailer Compressor Combo Kit
    $199.