Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French doors finally finished!

French doors finally finished!

I finally hung my French doors yesterday. They got high praise from my wife, who said "hey, they don't look bad at all!" Making these things was an interesting journey into a new realm of furniture making, learning to use a shaper, etc. If anybody is interested, I took some photos of the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-15-2011 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Rotated pictures for eaiser viewing.

Wow! Those look great. Although, and I'm hesitant to point this out, but I think you hung them the wrong direction

They are beautiful David! And your wife is right, they don't look bad at all! I've actually heard something very similar from my own wife. I always take it as a compliment. So are you planning the next door build yet?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-15-2011 at 2:58 PM.

If have pics, I for one am interested in seeing them.

Uh...... they look real good, but how do you step over the glass on the bottom door when they are opened?
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

WOW! Those really look good. That must of been quite a challenge, Good job David.

Dang it, Dan! I was gonna say that! Great work, David!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Wow! Those look great. Although, and I'm hesitant to point this out, but I think you hung them the wrong direction

I hear all doors look like that...Near The Equator! ;-)

Nice Fr.Doors David!

~Chip~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Man, what a bunch of wise guys! No, you do not have to roll sideways on the floor to get in! BTW, Is there a way to rotate pictures while posting?

Thanks for the compliments. I'll get together a few photos of the build. These things are much more complicated than what you'd think and also use more material than you'd think. I have a real appreciation for door manufacturers. I also have a new found appreciation for how pretty vertical grain fir can be. It's dirt cheap around here, so I'm starting to think of other projects where it can be incorporated.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    David, I rotated the picture for you. I don't think the forum software has a rotate feature. Most modern image software will let you rotate the image before you upload it.
    Nice doors.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-15-2011 at 5:23 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    I also have a new found appreciation for how pretty vertical grain fir can be. It's dirt cheap around here, so I'm starting to think of other projects where it can be incorporated.
    Love the doors. I, too, think vertical grain fir is beautiful. Although around here it isn't cheap at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    David, I rotated the picture for you. I don't think the forum software has a rotate feature. Most modern image software will let you rotate the image before you upload it.
    Nice doors.
    I am still seeing it horizontal.

GREAT LOOKING DOORS, David.

Doors take a lot more effort than you would first think.
    Mike Harrison

I'm thinking a photo must be rotated before it is uploaded. Using Paint, included in any iteration of Windows, allows simple photo manipulations like rotating and resizing--not a whole lot more.

Edit the photo in Paint by right-clicking the photo, choose Open With> Paint. Upload the new version to SMC and replace the sideways version with it.

Delete the errant photo so that my post here will look really DUMB! lol!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    These things are much more complicated than what you'd think and also use more material than you'd think. I have a real appreciation for door manufacturers. .
    You forgot to mention they take alot longer than you would expect... With that added you have the woodworkers mantra down pat.