Thread: Church Bell Tower

Church Bell Tower

I was asked to repair the local church's bell tower, which is over 200 years old and was badly damaged during hurrican Ike in 2008. The original was made from western red cedar in 8" x 8" stock, unfortunately the church only had 3/4 stock so I had to laminate everything; the saying about never having too many clamps springs to mind! All 12 of the quarter knees were also laminated then cut on the band saw. The legs are mortised and tenonded in the main frame. The knees are glued and then bolted on. I managed to salvage some of the roof, but everyhting else was made from scratch. The roof is going to eb sheathed in copper by someone else.

Interesting project, but I do not want to see a piece of cedar for a while... Here are a few photos, I also have many more of the entire process if anyone is interested....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The impossible straight away, miracles are taking a little longer....

The scope of a project like this always amaze me. I really have to congratulate you.

I don't know what you charged them but it wasn't enough.

What sort of glue did you use?

Nicley done Seamus! I imagine the size of that made some portions of producing it fun!

Do you have to mount it?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you jacques. I did it as a favour really as I am pretty much retired; my son and I have about 150 hours in this, but they supplied all the materials. I just thought it would be an interesting project which I could learn from as I have only been woodworking for a little over two years; I did learn not to make another one, unless they give me dimensioned lumber! I used mainly titebond 3, but also expoy in a few places. \

Thanks Ken, the size and weight of it were problematic, but we got around it with a few extra bodies. No, fortunately I don't have to mount it, they are getting a contractor with a crane in for that; they just took it away to be sheathed in copper, it looked a bit like the pope mobile going down the road. They did just ask me to make 36 window shutters and 3 double 14' doors though, so I guess they must be happy with it; not for me though as I enjoy doing it for fun and would not want to fee like it was a job.

Woodworking and living in Turks and Caicos and getting paid for some of the work....Ah to dream.

The bell tower also looks great!

the bell tower looks really cool! Bet you filled up a bag or two of sawdust...thinking about a cyclone yet?
    What's the cool looking yellow truck right behind the first photo? A Mann?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Schlosser View Post
    the bell tower looks really cool! Bet you filled up a bag or two of sawdust...thinking about a cyclone yet?
    What's the cool looking yellow truck right behind the first photo? A Mann?
    Sorry away fora while... It is a Mercedes 'Unimog' 4 x 4 off road tractor the ultimate off road vehicle.. I use it for puling my boat.. The CHurch was rededicated on Wednesday and the Bell tower got a special mention, which was cool; I also ended up making all the doors and windows as well, not my thing but they were really pleased and hopefully it will be good for another 200 years and in the event of another major hurricane.
    Attached Images Attached Images