Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your pet peeve?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    1) people that get to the airport convenience store's cash register, after standing in line for 3 mintues to check out, with one bottle of water, two magazines, and a bag of trail mix, and then start to search for $$, ....
    Yea, that one reallys frosts me too, about 3 times a day at our work cafeteria. People will stand 5 deep in line, and then, once they get to the register, wait to get the total before they start to dig out the wallet... and then carry on a conversation while they're looking, holding up the next 5 in line while they pass the time of day...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg View Post
    I also have too many peeves to list and couldn't properly describe then in a polite language, so I will sum it up by saying "The more people I meet the more I like animals (as in dogs, cats, horses, ferrets, etc, etc, etc)".
    Ahhh, welcome to the world of misanthropes, Lori... evidently we're a growing (and despised) breed.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I have too many to mention. I've developed what I think is a healthy, though general, disdain for most people. My wife is a psychologist. She had a general love for people but as time goes on she's coming around to my point of view. I think there are generally too many people packed in too tightly and it makes people act like idiots...anonymity makes people act like idiots, pushing everyone of my myriad peeves in rapid succession. They may be wonderful people, but in a crowd at the grocery store, they're just one more obstacle, with irritating habits, standing between me and my blessed, quiet home off in the woods.
    i'm the opposite. unapologetic city person.

if i can't hear sirens, helicopters, etc. at night i have trouble sleeping, because it's too quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    i'm the opposite. unapologetic city person.

if i can't hear sirens, helicopters, etc. at night i have trouble sleeping, because it's too quiet.
    I grew up in Yonkers. I was just like this at one time. When I moved to Pensylvania for graduate school, my apartment was pretty close to a cemetery. A girlfriend asked if it bothered me living so close to all those dead people. I laughed and told her it's the live ones that worry me.

Those two years in the Pocanos gave me a new perspective on things. I'm much nicer a more relaxed now...LOL.

Well now...had to think on this one, so many came to mind!
    Gary Max's jumped right up front, 'cept now I one of those folks waiting on my check. Not sittin' on my hands by any stretch, working off my lot rent, sellin' off un-necessaries, and cuttin' back all around.
    I am definitely with the misanthrope crowd...my little dog is the smartest person I know! Most horses could navigate McAllen traffic better than the folk behind the wheels of the little 'point and shoot' cars 'round here.
    Next up on my hit list are the 'ambulance chasers'. Now I'm not talkin' about honest attorneys, and judges, I mean the ones with the banner ads on bus benches, the transformer robot commercials on the TV, and the ones with handles like the 'Strong Arm' promising you hundreds of thousands of dollars for an accident that was probably your fault in the first place.
    Folks that mindlessly 'flip' email jokes, and stories also crawl up my spine...'specially when their whole contact list appears at the top of the email. I'm on that list...doggone it. Google BCC...please.
    Hey, I'm starting to feel pretty good!
    Let's not even go into parking lot behavior...or checkout line, post office, or gas station manners.
    Too bad Mitchell's not here, this thread could be really fun
    Mick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    ...'specially when their whole contact list appears at the top of the email. I'm on that list...doggone it. Google BCC...please.
    <chuckle> We had a fun run here at work for several hours. Using the usual mailing groups, a general request was sent around for personal info (SS, DOB, child names, etc.) to be faxed or hand-delivered to HR for insurance purposes. Needless to say, some hit "reply all" and attached documents (like marriage and birth certificates).

Oh, but it gets better. Then we got the group of people who said "I don't know how I got on this mailing list, please remove me." Of course, they used "reply all", too. <sigh> This started another wave of "Stop sending me emails... remove me from this list!", again using "reply all". Then came the barrage of "People, stop using <reply all> when responding to messages!", yep, also using "reply all". And this went on for the better part of the work day.

And none of it would have happened if the halfwits who sent the original group emails would put the group list on the BCC line. Proving, once again, no matter how intelligent the group of people may be (we're talking thousands of members here, mostly engineers of all sorts), basic technology can completely befuddle them.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

"History made everyday" as a legitimate excuse to put anything they want on the History channel. Then people wonder why I don't watch TV.

How about a woman in line at McDonalds with six kids in tow. Finally gets to head of line, turns, and asks the kids what they want, finally gets it straight, they discuss and change a couple orders, then when she gets the bill, acts like she never thought of getting ready with her money out, and by the way...here is a coupon that's outdated. Is it still ok?

Actually, another of my favorites is really mild, but I just don't understand it.. A neighbor has a new BMW, and an almost new Suburban, both in 'wash me' black. Both cars (about $90,000 worth) sit outside all the time, while a pile of junk worth about $100 in a yard sale takes up the whole garage.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

Actually, another of my favorites is really mild, but I just don't understand it.. A neighbor has a new BMW, and an almost new Suburban, both in 'wash me' black. Both cars (about $90,000 worth) sit outside all the time, while a pile of junk worth about $100 in a yard sale takes up the whole garage.

Rick Potter
    and especially the ones who have jet black front wheels from brake dust because they have never, not once, washed the car.

Chapter 1: Creepers, Klingons, and Waggers

At a stoplight, those who stop well behind the car in front of them and then continue to intermittently 'creep' up while waiting. Great...now everyone in line behind this bonehead, one by one, gets to creep as well, otherwise adopt the 'great divide' originally established by said bonehead.

Drivers who permanently adopt anyone in the lane right next to them, matching speed no matter what, until they reach their final destination. The 'klingon' has a lane wide-open in front of him but refuses to break up the herd or pack.

Sitting anywhere in the vicinity of someone who is compelled to unendingly either bounce their leg up and down or wag their foot with legs crossed. Don't even get me started on back-of-the-chair kickers.

I never realized that there was an actual term, misanthrope, to properly describe me. Since it's an actual term, that means I'm not the only one and somehow, that makes me feel better.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    and especially the ones who have jet black front wheels from brake dust because they have never, not once, washed the car.
    Well - the famous BMW brake dust takes only a couple hundred miles to recoat the wheels......but still - jet black is a bit over the top.

I'm more peeved at BMW's with automatics- I think they should make only standard transmissions - if someone needs a high-end car with an automatic, that's why they invented the Lexus......
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Does anyone want to start a new forum called "Misanthrope Creek" ? LOL

I will sign up!

We can all sit around and talk about how much we hate the majority of the human race!
    Last edited by David Larsen; 05-21-2011 at 6:26 PM.

Well - the famous BMW brake dust takes only a couple hundred miles to recoat the wheels......but still - jet black is a bit over the top.

I'm more peeved at BMW's with automatics- I think they should make only standard transmissions - if someone needs a high-end car with an automatic, that's why they invented the Lexus......
    or mercs. i have a merc, and you can't get a merc sedan with a standard transmission. it's supposed to be a sedan, so that's what it is.

but i agree on BMWs, if i wanted a sports car i would get one with a manual.

BMWs and Mercedes are both a peeve of mine... Where I live, every other car is one of these, and not one single person knows how to drive them or drives them like they are rulers of the world. I think the turn signals are just for external aesthetics, I've never seen one actually function and I think the front end has some big ultra powerful magnet in it as they are always inches away from the car in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    BMWs and Mercedes are both a peeve of mine... Where I live, every other car is one of these, and not one single person knows how to drive them or drives them like they are rulers of the world. I think the turn signals are just for external aesthetics, I've never seen one actually function and I think the front end has some big ultra powerful magnet in it as they are always inches away from the car in front of them.
    Bryan - you'e in So Cal, right? And you're giving us this news flash that there are a lot of jerks and dilletantes there? Quick - gimme a pencil - I gotta make a note of this one......

That is SOOOO unlike the northern part of Atlanta What we've got here are the "Buckhead Babes"... blonde trophy-wife style in a silver German SUV, cell phone in one hand, eyeliner pencil in the other, no hands left for the wheel - much less turn signal - looking at herself in the rearview, cruising down 6-lane Peachtree Street, oblivious.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.