Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moles

moles

is there any way to get rid of moles?

over the years have used wind vanes and poisen in the tunnels, they seem to like those things, the extended family seems to be getting larger

my cat keeps them in control

I just don't worry about them. They are carnivores so they leave the plant roots alone. Probably have hundreds on my property. Don't care.

MoleMax, available at garden centers. It solves the problems for moles and voles.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have never had the problem but my brother did. He was told to use ex-lax break little pieces off the main bar and but it at the tunnels. It worked for my brother.

One way is to use a lawn insecticide to kill the grubs that they eat. In addition, it will also kill the larva that turn into Japanese Beetle. I use this in some area of my yard. In other areas, the clay is so hard that they can not make tunnels.

Spring loaded traps work for me. Milky Spore fungus controls the grubs the moles chow down on, but unless all your neighbors apply it, it's useless and very pricey. I have a large garden and the moles are really destructive. Although they don't eat plants, their tunnels disturb roots and then the Voles, which do eat plants use their tunnels to get to root systems. I keep an eye out for the little buggers and they don't last long in my yard.

I use the spear spring traps. It takes a while but it eventually gets them. I am amazed at how much damage one mole can do in one lawn.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Milky Spore fungus controls the grubs the moles chow down on, but unless all your neighbors apply it, it's useless and very pricey.
    We applied milky spore to our yard and we have few if any moles. If there's no food, the moles don't hang out. It lasts for years. In fact, this spring my neighbor noted that his yard was loaded with moles and our yard was not. I told him about the milky spore application we had done and he is planning to do his yard. The milky spore will spread and last for several years.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have used both MoleMax and grub killer. Both will keep the moles away for a while until the stuff needs to be applied again.

My father in law used to use propane, it's heavier than air and will suffocate them.
    No smoking!
    Dave

I use a dermatologist.

You know what the two most common diseases moles suffer from?

Trench foot and Tunnel Vision.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I use a dermatologist.
    wrong type of moles

I had an army of moles living under my hickory tree and I think I finally won the war. In my experience, spear traps and poisons don't work. Get a couple Victor Out O'Sight Mole Traps. It's what the pros use. 10 bucks each on Amazon. Be sure to read the extensive review and tips from Geoffrey Klos, "Don't Follow the Directions", November 1, 2007. Extremely helpful and entertaining! You'll be catching moles in no time.