Thread: Northfield Jointer Update & more ???'s

Northfield Jointer Update & more ???'s

For anyone interested in the backstory, you can check here...

I think I've got everything I need to actually get this beast running, if not tuned. I bought some metal Friday and I'm going to start making a mobile base for it tomorrow hopefully, with some time off Tuesday and Wednesday to get it finished and installed, praying that my base will hold it!

Was reading through my rotary phase converter documentation and found out it"s configured for a delta wired motor. Tried calling Northfield, but Jeff had already gone home on Friday by the time I made the call. I had one of our super-techs at work look at the motor diagram and he said it was a delta motor versus a wye configured motor, but there isn't the typical Delta or Wye symbology, he could just tell from the wiring schematic. Can anyone confirm this? He only sounded about 85% sure to me.

Also, I'm planning on wiring a remote switch to this thing, was taking the old box off and found out Northfield didn't paint behind the electrical box, so it's going to be an eyesore. I'd like to do this justice at some point, what kind of paint is used on this kind of thing? Auto paint? Or is there something I can possibly do while staying reasonably priced. I know the cost of auto paint and the equipment needed as I've painted a vehicle or 3 in my college days. I'd rather not go there just yet.

Thanks for any help!

Blog Entries
    Northfield may be able to supply you some paint or give you the color match in commonly available paints. I've always used simple rattle-can spray enamel.

On Delta vs Wye, can you link to the phase converter documentation and a picture of the current motor wiring?

Casey, as a rule, those guys over at OWWM are the ones to ask about Northfields, or any other big ol' American-made piece of machinery. Very knowledgable about 3-phase and RPC stuff too! They eat, sleep and drink that stuff.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Okay, back ot OWWM I go. You guys have been so good here though!

I'll have to get some pics of the mobile base I spent the last couple of days working on. Still need to bolt the casters on and add another brace, plus a bit more grinding and it'll be good to go. Just don't feel comfortable with the way I have the rotating casters cantilevered out. I'd hate to set this thing on my base and watch the thing go all the way to the floor. I'll see what I can do over lunch about pictures.

Here's the mobile base I slapped together. The wheels aren't bolted on, I just stuck them underneath it just to see what it'd look like for myself.

mobile base.jpg

Cool Casey. Wait till you try to push it around. You will find you need to turn the wheels in the right direction first as the whole thing is so heavy. Don't plan on moving it often unless you have a big friend. Three toed jointers are easier to keep in alignment than say an Oliver 166 when moved around but a concrete floor will have some variation so keep the moving to a minimum. Dave who has been there and done that. Oops, just remembered your jointer is MD. Should be easy to push. Did you get the starter fixed? Dave
    Last edited by David Kumm; 05-21-2011 at 10:55 PM.

I don't know if I have the starter fixed or not yet. Haven't wired anything yet. I think I have everything minus the actual wire to hook everything up, but won't know for sure until I get everything put in. Unfortunately, I'm out of the country the 24th of May through the 2nd of June so I'm not going to be able to work on it. But hopefully when I get back I'll have some serious comp time. Skipping a 4 day weekend dang it, not to mention the wifey's b-day.