Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Outstanding example of Lee Valley Customer Service - Free Upgrade

Another Outstanding example of Lee Valley Customer Service - Free Upgrade

Thought those of us that are Lee Valley fans on the forum would appreciate this:

I received a letter on Saturday from Lee Valley stating that they've records that indicated I'd purchased one of the large-size routers from them in the past, and noting that they'd designed a new depth stop that is one-piece and can be adjusted without tools. Nothing too unusual so far, but the next sentence was something to the effect that "We would like to provide this part as an upgrade to your plane for free, just ask for part no. XXXXX on your next order". the letter goes on to say that they'd received lots of customer requests for small-width blades for the tool for inlay work, and they'll sell these blades to a router plane owner for about %30 off until June ($10 vs. $13 regular price).

I was used to outstanding service from both Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen, but frankly, a manufacturer offering an upgrade to an already-purchased item that isn't part of a safety recall (hard to imagine a safety recall for a hand plane!) is downright unheard of!

So, thanks to Rob & crew for offering this.

Maybe that's what was missing from my letter? I got a letter, or more correctly an envelope from Lee Valley this past week. Oddly, it was empty. I called Customer Service, but there wasn't anything they could see that was sent out via mail.
    New Canuck Workshop

Last Friday was a good tool day for me - I attended the Lie-Nielsen event in St. Louis, and when I got home the letter from Lee Valley was in my mailbox. I ordered the new router plane part and one of the new small router plane blades.

Blog Entries
    hard to imagine a safety recall for a hand plane!
    A blade guard to prevent shaving your hand?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I received the letter on Saturday as well. We should count our blessings that we deal with a company like Lee Valley and a gentleman like Rob Lee. Old fashioned customer service, customer loyalty and honesty- a "hat trick" you just can't find any more. Thanks Rob!! (I ordered three new blades with the collar)

Yup, I will be ordering mine soon too. This kind of service is why we continue to do business with LV and recommend them to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yang View Post
    Maybe that's what was missing from my letter? I got a letter, or more correctly an envelope from Lee Valley this past week. Oddly, it was empty. I called Customer Service, but there wasn't anything they could see that was sent out via mail.
    I, too, received an empty envelope from them.....
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A blade guard to prevent shaving your hand?

jtk
    But then how would you know if it's sharp enough??

I got my letter Friday right after I placed an order online. I called customer service and added the depth stop and the new router blades for the limited offer at $10 each.
    I'm very pleased on both accounts. The new blade selection really adds to the utility and value of the router plane.
    Gary

Just went in to Lee Valley today to buy a weed torch and remembered the letter. I asked if I needed to bring it in with me because I had totally forgotten and they just said not to worry and gave me the upgrade part on the spot... Great company!

What if I bought one of those planes used? Can I get the part the original buyer would have gotten?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    What if I bought one of those planes used? Can I get the part the original buyer would have gotten?
    Maybe, Lee Valley is really good in my experience. Call and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    It seems like they are free with any order:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...82,48945,52609

In the bottom of the list I see this:
    "Depth Stop Assembly Upgrade — free with order"

Blog Entries
    I didn't receive a letter, I guessed I purchased it too long ago for their records. I see that the notice is also on the item description web page for the router. I guess I'll have to order something now to get this free upgrade...
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    I didn't receive a letter, I guessed I purchased it too long ago for their records. I see that the notice is also on the item description web page for the router. I guess I'll have to order something now to get this free upgrade...
    Hi Randy -

We mailed every single person on file who bought (it was introduced in Fall 2005, and our live data goes back at least another 3-4 years!)... but no worries - everyone who has a router plane can get the new part at no charge... even if the plane was bought used, was a gift etc.

I should point out too that the new part is not useful with Stanley router planes....

For those overseas - we have also sent parts to Veritas dealers - but you'll have to contact them directly for information on how to get the part.

Cheers -

Rob