Thread: Answer to Scott Banbury and seek input (long)

Answer to Scott Banbury and seek input (long)

Scott,

Thanks for the input on the Beam Machine. When I said I wanted to cut some 36" or so long beams from oaks and maples, you said: :"Why don't you just get your friendly neighborhood sawyer to cut your wood for you? It shouldn't cost anymore than 30 cents/boardfoot"

First, I have already suggested you move your operation to Ontario -quite a few trees here for you. As a woodworking hobbyist; both turning and furniture, what I have in mind is sort of a multi-use approach to the trees I fell around here. They grow(thankfully) too dense for their own good. I like to practice good woodlot management and choose trees to take out that will help others etc. What I would like to do would not warrant the trip for a Woodmizer or Norwood practitioner. These are all one-ofs and on my relatively spread-out timetable.
    The plan for each tree is to take a portion to produce bowl blanks, a portion to produce a few beams - roughly 6" x 8" x 36" to resaw for small furniture projects, and then use the majority for firewood - I heat mostly with wood.
    The thought of putting a few pieces away each time, not only for bowls, but for furniture projects has great appeal to me. Now in the case of the little table (below), I haven't cut anything long enough to mill up for the legs. It would be very helpful(read safer) to be able to resaw on the bandsaw from a nice square beam.

Pics are somewhat of an example, all from the same wormy oak I cut down Aug 04:
    pic 1. - some of the turnings
    pic 2. - furniture project in mind - I think this will suit wormy 1/4sawn wormy oak well
    pic3. resawed from bandsaw
    pic 4. grain
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry Steve, I thought you said 36' beams and I was picturing you with some crazy assortment of roller supports trying to get a beam that long across your bandsaw.

Before I bought my Woodmizer, I used to saw 4' rounds on a friend 36" bandsaw using a guide that was absically 2 pieces of 1" plywood screwed and gusseted together at a right angle. I'd run a couple of short lag bolts through the upright plywood into the "log" and run the guide against the fence to saw off boards.

I'd flatten 2 adjacent faces this way and then use them against the fence.

This guy in Ontario makes a jig for doing this http://www.nicks.ca/Lil.rp.html

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply and the link Scott. I can see why you would have thought I was nuts if they were 36 ft beams.

So, would you recommend the Beam Machine for the 36 inchers?

No, I'd use my 36" bar and free hand it.

If you're just sawing 36" pieces, I'd be inclined to do it all on the bandsaw with a jig like I described or the one I posted the link to.