Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best CNC Router for the Money

Best CNC Router for the Money

OK, here is my question, in a few months I'm going to take the plunge and buy a CNC router. I have seen the Rockler Shark but I was wondering about what is the best bang for your buck. I want to be able to do about a 24" x 36" but it can be a bit smaller. I just want some input and other places to compare and some input into support. I would like a turnkey not a kit. Google has not been much help so I thought I would try here. I have CNC programming experience and they look like they would be a great tool to have to add to my Laser. Thanks for all the help.
    Epilog Helix 24

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Ken, this thread has some good info in it:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Affordable-CNC...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Shopbot and Camaster would be my choices. I currently have a Shopbot and it does everything I could ask. Matter of fact I'm thinking of a 2nd to keep up with production. The support is 2nd to none.

Before you can get any good responses you really need to figure out what you want to accomplish with the machine. Will you be making signs? Multi sided objects? etc.. I looked at the shark which a lot of people really like but, it won't do what I need.

The Shopbot looks like a really nice machine. I have CNC programming experience. Signs are where I want to start but 3D signs and plaques and other objects are also what I want to do. I want to get a good enough machine so in a year I wont have to replace it.
    Epilog Helix 24

If you are looking at production work then then you need to look at production machines. The shark is a hobby machine. If you are looking at this from the buisness side then you should not even consider a machine that cant run at least 8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week.

it is obvoius why i choose the camaster, it does cost more gives a lot more and holds value. oh i guess i should mention it does the job as well!!

support and owners
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-21-2011 at 8:10 AM. Reason: Removed outside forum link. Linking to forums is not allowed per the TOS.

Honastly All the money I put into my laser and accesories, I could have purchased a Camaster 408. Wish I had.

"For the money"... that's the rub. I mean you can dump 6 figures on a machine and do a lot or you can spend a couple thousand and accomplish nearly the same thing only slower and probably not nearly as accurately... and not for nearly as long. So, if you're only going to use it for a short period of time, and aren't looking for accuracy or anything like that, then something like the shark would be better 'for the money'.

For my money, I went with a welded steel frame, big heavy beefy components, industrial style controller and the support of people like Jim here... I did sacrifice speed and size to a degree. I didn't go with a servo machine or the full 4x8 size... I also didn't spend $30,000 on my machine either.

So I guess my point is that 'for the money' is really subjective. I'm happy with the product I got for my money. 'For the money' for me meant quite a bit more money, but I don't think I would have been able to say that about the shark even though it's less than a 3rd of what I paid for mine.
    Last edited by Brad Knight; 05-20-2011 at 2:25 PM. Reason: Spelling... dang it

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Knight View Post
    "For the money"... that's the rub. I mean you can dump 6 figures on a machine and do a lot or you can spend a couple thousand and accomplish nearly the same thing only slower and probably not nearly as accurately... and not for nearly as long. So, if you're only going to use it for a short period of time, and aren't looking for accuracy or anything like that, then something like the shark would be better 'for the money'.

For my money, I went with a welded steel frame, big heavy beefy components, industrial style controller and the support of people like Jim here... I did sacrifice speed and size to a degree. I didn't go with a servo machine or the full 4x8 size... I also didn't spend $30,000 on my machine either.

So I guess my point is that 'for the money' is really subjective. I'm happy with the product I got for my money. 'For the money' for me meant quite a bit more money, but I don't think I would have been able to say that about the shark even though it's less than a 3rd of what I paid for mine.
    I agree you pay for what you get ........ buy your send machine the first time otherwise you spend twice as much.
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Mick A Martin View Post
    I agree you pay for what you get ........ buy your send machine the first time otherwise you spend twice as much.
    I don't mean to be rude, but I roll my eyes every time someone says that. It's like you're discrediting people who are able to buy raw materials and end up with a finished product. There are plenty of DIY CNC machines which rival commercial units for a fraction of the cost.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but I roll my eyes every time someone says that. It's like you're discrediting people who are able to buy raw materials and end up with a finished product. There are plenty of DIY CNC machines which rival commercial units for a fraction of the cost.
    What I mean is buy, build ....... the best machine you can afford, buy the best parts, if you skimp you will only end up redoing it.
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

i caught micks mispell this am, i believe what he meant to say was "purchase your second cnc first" having spent a small fortune in learning curves i absolutly agree with this, i am a large fan of individual fabrication and came real close to attempting to build the end user commercial unit i would eventually need and am absolutly greatfull i did not do it.

I want to buy something that I can use in a production setting. The goal is to be able to use it everyday and as I am able to grow and maybe make it a full time business not have to trash it. I'm trying to stay in the 7-8k range and be about a 24" x 36" table capacity.
    Epilog Helix 24

ok, I think its between Shopbot and Camaster Stinger. Can I get feedback on pros and cons between the 2. Im leaning towards Camaster. I think a spindle over the router is a much better plan too. If nothing else just for less noise. It might be $1800 but it might be money well spent.
    Epilog Helix 24