Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some small milling bits.

Looking for some small milling bits.

I have the need for a spiral router bits. A 1/16" and 3/32" bit would be perfect for current project. The material is 1/8" hard board or other enginenered stock.

I have a couple 1/16" end mill bits that were part of one of those mega endmill kits that I purchesed back when I had a sherline mill.

Im using a 1/8" - 1/4" adapter so I can chuck it up. I was just wondering what is available.

Try this company they make really small bits http://precisebits.com/default.htm

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Michael,

Centurian Tools has the bits you want, they are in Louisa County in the town of Mineral Virginia.

Depending on your needs you can use Dremel bits from the Borg.

Keith beat me to it, dremel sells almost any end mill or router bit that you can imagine

Enco sells all size endmills with 1/8" shank.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Look at Ebay, you can get them direct from China, 10 for $20
    Gerry

JointCAM

Bits and Bits has everything you can imagine. They sell to jewlers, so you can figure they can get as small as anyone...

http://bitsbits.com/
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I wanted a 1/16 bit with 1/4" shank. These are hard to find. I have a 1/8" - 1/4" adapter but it adds too much runout. PRecisioan bits supposedly sells bits with permanate 1/4" bushings but for the life of me I could not find them.
    I found two bits by Freud that were carbide and 1/4" shanks. I got both a 1/6" and a 3/32" for $15 each. These should do the job.

The issue with a 1/16" bit on a 1/4" shaft is you are starting out with a 1/4" rod which costs more than an 1/8" rod while providing no real benefit other than reducing the need for another collet. Machining time is probably longer too which adds to cost.

This is true about cost. However the problem has been resolved by two methods.

The first is that a special custom bushing is added permantly to the bit. I believe this is the method that Precision Bits utiliazes however I could not figure out how to order such a thing from thier web site.

The other method is the solid carbid portion is affixed to a 1/4" shaft bo some other method. This seems to be what Freud has done.

The last choice is to get a 1/8" collet for the router and use 1/8 bits. This would be my first choice but currently I am using a Festool router and As far as I can tell, no such collet is avaialble.

Michael,
    I agree the best way is to get different collets. I am expecting my shipment of the Precise Bit 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 collet kit on Friday I can't wait. Not sure on the Festool Collet kit. You may want to contact Precise Bit and ask them. I know originally they did not offer a kit for the Hitachi (router I own) but then they found out that the kit for the Bosch also fits the Hitachi. So now they sell that kit indicating that it does work with the Hitachi.

As far as bits I just ordered a few Niagara's from Amazon to check out. The 1/16 was only 8 bucks so it was worth a try. I will be giving it a spin this weekend and can let you know if you like.
    - Shane

Shenhui SH-G350 60W, Joe's 4x4 CNC, V-Carve, Corel, Mach3, Laserwork and tons of woodworking tools!

Thanks, I would like the feed back on the bits.

I use bits from all the above mentioned places - and also Harvey tool, available through MSC.

Cutting Edge Technologies.............http://www.cetdirect.com...............1-800-233-9956

Use them almost exclusively now......... they have the widest variety I've found...... ( look at the long lengths......6".......... to micro ) ................... bits last a really long time..............

not necessarily cheap but you usually get what you pay for......

Kevin