Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lee Valley dual marking gauge

New Lee Valley dual marking gauge

Lee Valley has a new product out - a dual marking gauge.

I'm just wondering what others think about it. In general, I think I'd prefer to have two single marking gauges, both with micro adjust. I wouldn't be able to mark a mortise or tenon with one stroke but that doesn't seem like a serious problem to me. Plus, I have more than two marking gauges already plus an old wooden dual marking gauge that I never use.

Anyway, what's your opinion?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

2. It could be worse... april 1 a couple of years ago...
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...33&cat=1,42936

Seriously though- in my shop multiple gauges arn't a problem, however I know some folk that work out of a toolbox that save space anywhere they can-- even with one less gauge

Therefore my opinion is quite lukewarm... probably wouldn't buy one but probably would use one if I was given one... I can certainly see a use for some folk though

Lawrence

It's nice, i like the design. I like the wheel gauges and I like the orientation of the wheels so that the outside measurement of them is exactly what you get in regardless of the cutting depth.

But I don't need it and I won't buy it because I don't need enough stuff to put together an order big enough to justify the cost of shipping.

If it was local and I didn't have to pay to ship it, I might think differently. Marking and measuring is my least favorite part of woodworking (used to be machine setup or machine jigging, but eliminating machines eliminated that) unless I can reference parts of the work piece directly to mark other parts, so i'm usually game for anything that makes marking/measuring/checking stuff easier.

Similar to an old Stanley gauge, 91 I think.

Hi Mike -

I, too, like single gauges.

One big benefit of a double gauge is: you're never looking for the "other one" ....

Many folks like 'em. For those that work referentially, it's easy to set the wheel spacing directly from a chisel. Of course - we also make really effective gauge heads that can be used on single gauges too...

Think of a double gauge as a resettable "story stick" for mortising.... and it leaves your single gauge free for all other work...

Cheers -

Rob

So, Rob...all we need is a retail store in Pittsburgh...

..and we just happen to have a few empty commercial spaces half a mile from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    So, Rob...all we need is a retail store in Pittsburgh...

..and we just happen to have a few empty commercial spaces half a mile from my house.
    And... I could visit a store and go to Penguin's games.....

That's true - less than 10 minutes from the igloo and the new arena.

You said it David. Thank God there are no brick and mortar stores in my area. I'd be severely in debt...more so, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I won't buy it because I don't need enough stuff to put together an order big enough to justify the cost of shipping.

If it was local and I didn't have to pay to ship it, I might think differently.

Shoot - I just placed an LV order a few days ago and didn't see that new gauge or I might have ordered one. I've got a dual gauge from BCTW that's nice but a bit on the larger (clumsier) side. The LV one looks nice, compact, and the price is sweet. The BCTW one I've got doesn't see all that much use but the dual cutters is nice to have at times. The intro price on the LV one is awful tempting.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    And... I could visit a store and go to Penguin's games.....
    And thus United States civilization fell.

Count me in the lukewarm camp also.

I got the email the day after my recent order shipped. Bad timing !
    As far as the gauge... It is the same design as an antique E C Stearns marking gauge that I use every day. The stearns is nickeled and marked on one arm in sixteenths. Great tool.

Barrett is better design. IMHO

While the LV double gage looks nice and I'm sure it is made well, I prefer the older Barrett design of 1888. It used two lock screws instead of one and it has an eight sided shape to keep it from rolling off the bench. It also looks like it has more surface area for alignment.
    There is one on e-bay right now. Bidding is up to about $10, but reserve not met.

Eric

Barrets.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    While the LV double gage looks nice and I'm sure it is made well, I prefer the older Barrett design of 1888. It used two lock screws instead of one and it has an eight sided shape to keep it from rolling off the bench. It also looks like it has more surface area for alignment.
    There is one on e-bay right now. Bidding is up to about $10, but reserve not met.

Eric

Barrets.jpg
    It looks like the LV has TWO lock screws, and I'd wager that the useable surface area available for alignment is greater on the LV than the Barrett. Also, I don't like the revolving cutters on the Barrett - I much prefer a fixed cutter. That said, the Barrett is a good tool, and I really like that mine stays put once I set it down. I'll probably pick up the LV version (I'm guessing this is the tool they based theirs on...) as I could always use another mortise marking gauge.