Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Lathe accident turns fatal

Another Lathe accident turns fatal

I am not sure how many "creekers" were aware of Joan Kelley's terrible accident at the lathe on May 4th. On the WoW website there has been a discussion of the accident and now it is reported that she succumbed to her injuries.

Our prayers are with her husband Earnest, and the rest of her family. You can see info at the following location: please, cut & paste address to your browser.

segmentedwoodturners.org/forum/showthread.php?609-Joan-Kelly-Update&p=4293#post4293
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 05-18-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: as per TOS
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Just thought I would take this opportunity to remind all turners, both hobbyist and professional...........proper safety is always the top priority............your life could depend upon it...........

It is my understanding that Joan was using proper safety equipment and was a very safety conscience turner..........but sometimes the unexpected can and does happen.........

Be safe everybody!

I had just read about the accident yesterday. I'm truly sad to hear it went downhill, it was sounding more encouraging from updates. My thoughts and prayers go out to Joan's family.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

It is awful, and Joan's passing will impact a large number of people, as she was so active with the Mid-south Woodturners Guild in Memphis, and active in other community activities as well.
    We set up a memorial fund over on WTA, and we hope to start some safety awareness work soon.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    It is awful, and Joan's passing will impact a large number of people, as she was so active with the Mid-south Woodturners Guild in Memphis, and active in other community activities as well.
    We set up a memorial fund over on WTA, and we hope to start some safety awareness work soon.
    Excellent response, John.........I think a lot of people know in the back of their mind that safety is important, but get familiar with and comfortable with wood spinning, and somehow lose the edge for safety........I think safety awareness is something truly needed and hopefully your work and perhaps maybe a "sticky" on safety here would not be a bad idea.........at least a link to safety guidelines from the AAW website.

What horrible news. My thoughts are with her family.

After reading the accident story (earlier), the recent developments and the face shield discussion on WoW..... well I am re-thinking my anti-face shield attitude. I WILL be checking out the face shields at St Paul and seeing if I could stand to wear one.

Very sad....
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Yeah, I've been in contact with the folks at Uvex Corporation, and I think what we experience as "hobbyists" is that there is no company over-sight of our activities, therefore, we sink into a comfortable zone. I know I do.
    Some people take it extremely serious, but most of us do what we think is necessary at the time.

Two days before Joan's accident, I was turning a walnut bowl. I was doing finishing cuts at high speed and just getting ready to my final sanding. I was slightly off to the left when the bowl exploded. The top half whizzed past my face and hit the far wall of the shop, 40 feet away. I was not wearing a faceshield. I had my safety glasses on....and felt safe.
    ~john

This is very sad news indeed.... My heart goes out to her family. Thoughts & prayers sent.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I've told it here before on this forum a year or so ago on another thread...........

I had a tenon break on me.....same thing walnut bowl blank ...........the thing hit me square in the chest, and I was wearing a face sheild.......it knocked it sideways, but it took some of the blow.........I wonder what would have been my injuries to my chin or neck if I had not been wearing it?

I like my eyesight! I want to keep all my fingers! Safety, Safety, safety!!! Lets all take the lesson and do everything in our power to keep ourselves safe.........I don't need a hobbyist version of OSHA, I can use good common sense!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-18-2011 at 11:53 AM.

I did not know Joan but one does not need to be personally acquainted with another to feel empathy for them, their families or their loved ones. Joan's injury was horrific and her passing turns an accident into a tragedy. We can take consolation only in the thought that she has been called to a higher purpose. Her family and friends need all of the prayers, energy and support that can be sent their way. If anyone knows how to contact her family, I would like to send them a note of condolence.
    David DeCristoforo

I will get that for you David
    ~john

Just awful, I read the related link. To her family be strong.

"Safety always , not just first"
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

This was a very tragic accident and very sad news. I thought are with her family and friends.

Alan

This is tragic, awful news, and my heart goes out to her family.

I've read through many threads about this, and although I see that she was very safety conscious, I see nowhere an answer to a question that we must all be asking. Was she wearing a face shield?

I only ask that for the benefit of all who must be wondering what to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again. We all know we should wear a faceshield, but if wearing one did not prevent her death, what more must we do to prevent ours?

I hope this doesn't seem cold, because I honestly want to know. I have taken to wearing a cheapy $15 shield from Lowes after the Trend headband broke, while waiting on the new one to come in... (I'm about ready to design my own respirator I'm that frustrated with the Trend.) The Trend company has been great to work with, (they've sent new parts at no charge,) but I'm not having good success with the product.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I am almost at a loss for words here, I feel so bad for her family and friends, its just horrible. My prayers go out to her family.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome