Thread: What Happens When They Close the HS Woodshop

What Happens When They Close the HS Woodshop

Or, this could be titled, "what was I thinking?" I guess I'll be the Midwest's largest distributor of late model Stanley #5 1/4 planes. Oh, and braces.

100_0572.jpg
    100_0574.jpg

Wow!!!!!!!!
    Now you've got the material to really make a killing, (money wise). Just advertise a combination Fettling/Sharpening workshop/class for a fee that lets the attendees take the Plane that they work on home when the class is over. What an opportunity.

Those are sure some nice looking Braces.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Blog Entries
    Quite a haul there.

I bought two #5-1/4s that came from a High School. Both of them were beat to heck and back.

It kind of feels a bit awkward to me in the size and all. They see occasional use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ha! I think I could fit two into my shop at a time. Actually, we live across the street from a park where they hold summer farmer's markets & craft sales on the occasional weekend. I've spent some time with kids (mine and others) in the park making small items - like assembling simple birdhouses from precut parts. Somehow, I got it into my head that if Public Schools won't teach basic woodworking, maybe I could. That, and I couldn't stomach seeing these go to the metal scrappers (their destiny if I didn't buy them I think).

Indianapolis Public Schools decided several years ago to stop teaching wood shop. The tools have been sitting dormant until they decided the change was permanent. I guess this means the change is permanent. School districts around the country have reached the same conclusion.

In 1964 I started teaching school shop(so I could use the shop after hours). There was a shop for the older students across the hall. The toolroom was full of well organized transitional Stanley planes,wooden spokeshaves ,most of which had never been used,and all manner of wooden tools looking so nice in their old,golden varnished finishes. They took all those tools away at some point,and replaced them with more up to date tools. I have no idea what happened to them. Probably got tossed. This was WAY before anyone I ever heard of collected tools,or valued old tools. If we just had the foresight.

I also wish I had had the foresight to keep a 1952 Telecaster guitar that I got for $75.00 a few years later. Today it would be well into 5 figures.

Too bad they are not all corrugated you would be set...

Looks like a few pre-type 15s
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I have to admit, I did rummage around the boxes to see if there were *any* corrugated. Nope. That would have been profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    In 1964 I started teaching school shop(so I could use the shop after hours). There was a shop for the older students across the hall. The toolroom was full of well organized transitional Stanley planes,wooden spokeshaves ,most of which had never been used,and all manner of wooden tools looking so nice in their old,golden varnished finishes. They took all those tools away at some point,and replaced them with more up to date tools. I have no idea what happened to them. Probably got tossed. This was WAY before anyone I ever heard of collected tools,or valued old tools. If we just had the foresight.

I also wish I had had the foresight to keep a 1952 Telecaster guitar that I got for $75.00 a few years later. Today it would be well into 5 figures.
    If I had kept all the fishing lures (and their boxes) I went through as a kid, I'd be a rich man! Especially the ones I "borrowed" from my dad. They were selling barrels full of files and rasps today which had to weigh hundreds of pounds. $20 and off to the metal scrap heap. The ones on top looked like they had been used once. It kills me sometimes.

Wow. How much for that haul? (if you don't mind me asking)

I'm surprised to see they still had hand planes and braces around. Were they actually still using them in class, or had they been sitting in some corner of the shop unused for the last 20 years?

I took wood shop in south east Pennsylvania in the mid-70's, and I don't recall ever seeing hand planes, although maybe I was just too dazzled by the big power tools.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

The school district I used to live in decided, with the help of their lawyers, to sell all for scrap. That was hand and machine tools, the entire lot. The buyer also had to agree to truly scrap his purchase rather than selling it in whole or part for its intended purpose. So, I'd say you made out well in all fronts.
    ...we could not handle the adze with half his skill:the improvement of tools had lowered the need for personal ability. W. Rose