Thread: clamping method for edge banding (front access only)

clamping method for edge banding (front access only)

Howdy:

Sometime back, one of the wood mags had a nifty tip for using clamps to be able to clamp edge banding to a shelf or a table top with only access to the front (for clamps).

My feeble brain can't remember the tip, and I need to use it on an attached bench in the garage.

If I clamp a strip to the bench top, and then use clamps to hold the edge banding, I am concerned about the "angle" between the clamp head (just above the bench top) and the "lower level" of the edge banding causing the banding pressure to not be even (causing the banding to ride up or end up being cocked and not flush against the front of the bend top).

Sure would appreciate "seeing" what you sawdust gurus use ion such a situation.

Thanks for your ideas.

Cheers,
    s/Mike
    Last edited by Mike Desch; 05-20-2011 at 1:04 AM.
    Have a great day

-------------------------------

Any day that begins by awakening can't be all bad.

Last edited by scott vroom; 05-19-2011 at 9:47 PM. Reason: forgot link
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

As I recall, the method used regular clamps-some on the top and others holding the edge banding. Can't remember if the top clamps were holding a strip of wood on the bench/shelf top or not.
    Have a great day

Could you put C clamps on the top and wedges on the front?

Blog Entries
    I've used some of these You can adjust the two side screws to center the edge screw directly over the piece being glued. If you apply too much pressure with the side screw, the two opposing screws will start to slide on the surface.

Or use the Norm method and shoot brads into the face of the edge banding and fill the holes later with wood filler.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

How about clamping an F clamp to the worktop with a bit of clearance between the clamp and the edge banding, then use a wedge to force the banding into the worktop? Several of these along the length would do it?

Blog Entries
    Could you clamp a scrap block on the top of the shelf, this would then give you a surface to pull towards to hold the edging in place.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

The edge clamps that Scott and Lee show are the easiest method, IMO; the clamps aren't inexpensive but they save so much work that they're worth it in the long run. And you avoid nail holes in your banding.

Alternatively, you can clamp a couple of battens top and bottom of your workpiece, a bit back from the edge to be banded; drive some brads partway into the battens and stretch rubber bands from lower to upper brads to hold the banding in place while the glue sets up.

Plus1 on Scott's choice. I own 6 of them, and as Frank noted, they're not cheap, but they sure work well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I had thought about putting a clamp on the bench top and then using shims or wedges to force the banding toward the top--just haven't done anything yet.

Several of the ideas will have to go in my failing memory bank--hopefully for future use.
    Have a great day