Thread: Assailant suffers injuries from fall

Assailant suffers injuries from fall

Now, THAT is one seriously clumsy thief.

Not to mention monumentally stupid.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Stumbled over some Marines is more like it

It looks like there should have been a paddy wagon hauling off a group of Marines. What the Marines did was just as illegal as the thief stabbing a Marine. I can understand a punch or two to subdue the guy, but it sounds like he got a real beatdown.

Looks like Mr. Jackson screwed up and brought a knife to fist fight. If it had been a police officer that Mr. Jackson had attacked, Mr. Jackson could very well be deceased right now. Its perfectly legal for police to use deadly force when confronted with a weapon. I think Mr. Jackson was lucky he didn't run into a group of police officers collecting Toys for Tots.

Lets see.... armed robbery, attempted murder.... no, I'd say the marines did a good job on the criminal.

Story isn't entirely true: http://www.snopes.com/politics/milit...bbedmarine.asp

I can honestly say I have never known a single marine that would do anything like that. Sure, they'd pop his face inside out a few times, but they aren't going to start breaking bones (well, maybe his nose).
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 05-21-2011 at 11:28 AM.

I think the Marines did great.

Lets say the Marines were not there, but the man was caught. He would have gone to jail for a day or 2, then to court where he would have been given a slap on the hand and told not to do it again. He may have even sued Best Buy for invading his privacy for using a surveillance camera, which I am sure he would have won and got a million for.

I just think it is about time were held people accountable for their actions and in this case I think he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    It looks like there should have been a paddy wagon hauling off a group of Marines. What the Marines did was just as illegal as the thief stabbing a Marine. I can understand a punch or two to subdue the guy, but it sounds like he got a real beatdown.
    Before you convict any Marines in your own mind, read the real story, where NO MARINES did ANY harm to the guy. The original Marine clotheslined the guy, the guy took out a knife and swung it at the Marine, who was cut, then the guy was taken into custody.

There was no beat down by anyone.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thank you Phil and Scott. To believe the story and hoot and holler about how great it is the Marines did this is actually an insult to any good Marine. I don't buy into the hype associated with Marines, I feel any person who serves our country is a GI and is equal in the eyes of God if KIA.
    Butt, even a Jarhead (said with Love and respect) deserves more respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Reals View Post
    Thank you Phil and Scott. To believe the story and hoot and holler about how great it is the Marines did this is actually an insult to any good Marine. I don't buy into the hype associated with Marines, I feel any person who serves our country is a GI and is equal in the eyes of God if KIA.
    Butt, even a Jarhead (said with Love and respect) deserves more respect.
    Ditto here.
    The marines are tough as leather, but they are not savages.
    I respect them MORE for turning the suspect over to the police intact, that shows respect for due process, a basic premise of rule by law.
    God bless 'em.
    Dave

Either way it is +1 for the good guys!

I did not view the story as disrespectful of the Marines. Quite the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by dave toney View Post
    Ditto here.
    The marines are tough as leather, but they are not savages.
    I respect them MORE for turning the suspect over to the police intact, that shows respect for due process, a basic premise of rule by law.
    God bless 'em.
    Dave
    Yep, under the law, you're only allowed to use "necessary" force. If the story was true, and they had killed the guy (not intending to), they'd be in a lot of trouble.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Whatever version of the story is true, the reality is that someone who pulls a knife on you is not offering you a free shave. Pulling a knife is deadly intent, and all levels of force are on the table until the threat is gone--which may include deadly force. If you convince yourself of anything less, you put yourself and those around you at high risk should such a threat ever present itself.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Whatever version of the story is true, the reality is that someone who pulls a knife on you is not offering you a free shave. Pulling a knife is deadly intent, and all levels of force are on the table until the threat is gone--which may include deadly force. If you convince yourself of anything less, you put yourself and those around you at high risk should such a threat ever present itself.
    You're absolutely correct. However, it would be impossible to cause the amount of injury described by simply disarming the guy. From the description you're suppose to assume that they beat the guy after he was disarmed.

But if he's holding a knife and assaulting you - meaning that you can't run away - you have the right to use any amount of force, including deadly force. A police officer could use deadly force instead of withdrawing because he/she is tasked with taking the guy into custody. You do not have that requirement and the law would require you to withdraw if you were able (unless there was an imminent threat to someone else).

Meaning - if you want to be a cop, join the police force.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.