Thread: Small Shop Manufacturing !

Small Shop Manufacturing !

USC Baseball - image 5.jpgUSC Baseball - image 2.jpgUSC Baseball - image 4.jpgUSC Baseball - image 3.jpgUSC Baseball - image 1.jpg

i saw kieth mention capabilities of small shop manufactuing, i took the dxf vectors directly from the architects cad drawings and produced this work for USC, while i have shown this before these pics were the finals after the graphics were done.

we are being asked to perform work that would have been unreachable by a shop of our size before the cnc, my hope is more will pursue manufacturing at all levels in this country and slowly but surely reverse the tide of those who use tax breaks on profit to reconsider importation. it can be done yet will not happen as a result of legislation (they ain't smart enough) it will have to happen in your community first. one thing we can do is help get a cnc machine in your local school, you do not have to pay for it, just drive the project !!

A few CNC machines aren't an earth shattering entity but thousands of CNC machines is a different story altogether. ShopBot has been promoting the 100K Garage program that connects CNC owners to customers. The program in still in its infancy IMO but it has promise and I expect it is growing every day. The concept of 100,000 CNC machines is an awesome thought to consider and it would represent the equivalent of a huge company if it ever happens.

Whether you make cabinets, furniture, signs or some other special product line you will be part of something much larger even if you don't ever join a group. Collectively we will be a major force producing products here at home. This is happening already and it is a good thing for all of us in North America. We don't need large factories to be competitive and we can use our low overhead as an advantage to steer customers away from large companies who prefer to have their products made overseas.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-22-2011 at 1:34 PM.

Yep... I've been doing this, that and the other thing with my CNC and just getting my name out there (it's working, albeit very slowly) but think it may be time to look again at the Outten "simple, profitable jobs" theory and start working with corian signage. I've been doing mostly figured woods and find many people that have approached me for work simply aren't willing to spend the money for these type of jobs.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3