Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simone's Flame

Simone's Flame

I was asked by friends to do an urn for the cremains of their beloved feline pet - Simone. This Claro walnut is a portion of a piece from Mike Smith, and easily some of the most beautiful wood I have seen. The flame and colors just cannot be appreciated in these pics. The finial is BE maple, with a Claro inset. The thought is that the snuggly fitting lid would simply be sealed once the cremains are in place.

Dimensions are 2.75" wide x 7.75" to the tip. Fortunately, the block of Claro was rectangular, and the remaining section is perfect for a HF - and the figure in the remaining portion is even better!!

Your thoughts and comments are welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that has to be one of the most beautiful urns I've seen! I love the way the two woods compliment each other. That flame in the walnut is spectacular.
    Can't wait to see the piece from the leftovers.

I'm sure your friends will be wowed and treasure this as a final resting spot for their cat.

Blog Entries
    Outstanding piece, John! There are no words do do justice.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Stunningly beautiful! Both wood grain and form.

Another work hot off the Mayo Monster. Beautiful. You are cooking with gas. That floor must be a total disaster
    Last edited by Dick Wilson; 05-22-2011 at 4:49 PM.
    I turn, therefore I am

That piece of wood looks like its on fire john, absolutly beautiful. I am sure they will love it John.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Beautifully done, John. It will be treasured.

That is an awesome piece of walnut and the finish looks great as well. I am sure the new owners will appreciate the effort that you put into it.

love the flow on this one!
    Jon

I love this piece, John, and I'm sure your friends are going to be wowed by it.

11. An exceptional piece.......very nice form and overall look.......what a palette to have to make such an artistic piece. I am sure the owners will treasure it as a resting place for their beloved pets remains.

Top shelf, John!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Spectacular! (as always!)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

John,
    That is beautiful. Nothing else to say.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

14. After revisiting this thread, and looking at that wood a 5th time.......that grain is actually 3-dimensional. Your finish just popped it, and I truly believe what you said about the pictures not doing is justice.........that is one I would like to hold in my hands for a few minutes and just soak in the beauty.............

Only problem.........I might have to clean up drool!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Okay, that wood is a WOW. Beautiful. You've done it justice with a very well done vessel. 1/16th in. walls and sanded to 600 inside?

Makes me wish I could turn some of that high figured claro. I used to turn a lot of walnut but developed a sinus allergy to it.