Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simone's Flame

Beautiful as we would expect John...an a fine gesture as well!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

John, Very nice form and finial on this. Well Done.

Alan

John that is another breathtaking piece. You definitely did justice by that piece of wood.

Beautiful work John! You have a gift for bringing wood to life in a variety of forms and this one really makes one appreciate what's possible when turning! I am sure Simone's owners will be amazed with the urn!

Very nice work John! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow... that is some spectacular walnut! Terrific form also (a bit reminiscent of Steve Schlumph's HFs). I realize that, as an urn, this must have a closure of some sort but I like it best sans lid and finial.
    David DeCristoforo

Very nice John - the wood grain and shape are great.

Love it!!! This is a wonderful piece John. The form is a delight....and doubly delightful that you did it twice by mirroring it in the finial!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Oooohs and aaaaaahs! I like this form, but I must admit that I'm surprised to see you've turned it... I didn't think you liked the taller, vase-like hollow forms. That wood is incredible, and the detailing is really nice. The last photo seems to show some discoloration in the finial, but I'm betting that's just the way the figure made the photo look. I don't care for cats, but I'd get one if it came with that urn.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    .... I don't care for cats, but I'd get one if it came with that urn.
    LOL!!!! Now THAT was funny!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

That's just down right sweet John...... Nice work!

John, I'm going to be visiting Mr. Smith again in a few weeks and I can see now that I'm going to have to bring my bolt cutters to break into your stash of Claro. I'm turning a Claro bowl currently, but the figure isn't quite as amazing as you HF.

RIP little kitty.

A "WOW" piece of wood that you have really brought to life! i think Simone will find her resting place suites her fancy just fine thank you very much!

Thanks for all the kind words!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wilson View Post
    That floor must be a total disaster
    Dick - you know better than that!!! The floor was spotless before I ever started the finishing process!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    Okay, that wood is a WOW. Beautiful. You've done it justice with a very well done vessel. 1/16th in. walls and sanded to 600 inside?

Makes me wish I could turn some of that high figured claro. I used to turn a lot of walnut but developed a sinus allergy to it.
    Wally, thanks so much for the comments!! I cherish getting the approval of the Master! Walls are a little less than 1/8", but not 1/16"!! I have small hands, and my index finger will barely fit in the opening, so sanding was down to 150 for about as far as I could get my little dowel sanding pads. If I didn't use the DC system, the walnut would give me fits, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Beautiful as we would expect John...an a fine gesture as well!
    Jim, while I would like to take credit for an act of kindness, this "gesture" had $$ associated with it!

Oooohs and aaaaaahs! I like this form, but I must admit that I'm surprised to see you've turned it... I didn't think you liked the taller, vase-like hollow forms. That wood is incredible, and the detailing is really nice. The last photo seems to show some discoloration in the finial, but I'm betting that's just the way the figure made the photo look. I don't care for cats, but I'd get one if it came with that urn.
    David, like most things, the more I kept looking at the vase forms, the more I had an urge to try some. I think the next human urn will be an upright form, too. The finial is BE maple, so what you are seeing is the figure from that. And, I don't care for cats either!! But, I do like the folks that owned Simone!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Eargle View Post
    John, I'm going to be visiting Mr. Smith again in a few weeks and I can see now that I'm going to have to bring my bolt cutters to break into your stash of Claro. I'm turning a Claro bowl currently, but the figure isn't quite as amazing as you HF.

RIP little kitty.
    Marty, just so you know, the alarm system on that stash is very sensitive! Be careful of the snake pit, too!!

very nice...

I don't care for cats, but I'd get one if it came with that urn.
    Ha!

John, beautiful piece -