Both David Charlesworth and Jim Kingshott have very good dvd/VHS videos. If forced to choose between the two, Mr. Charlesworth gets my vote hands down. Why?..you may ask? He's a better teacher. Lucky for us they are both good teachers. However, Mr. Charlesworth goes into the explaination of his thinking behind his techniques in a very clear and practical way. This is to be expected as Mr. Charlesworth has many years teaching experience. Like all good teachers, they learn from their students as much as they teach them. I will say Mr. Charlesworth some times gets over the top in some commentary but it needs to be there to stick in my tired old brain I think.

I really learned planes and sharpening techniques from Mr. Kingshott so I'll always be grateful for his giving and charming lessons. I still watch his videos on my VHS ( yes...it still works ) and learn again things that I've not noticed before. Good videos are like that. DC's videos are the same way. For myself, David Charlesworth's videos on plane blade sharpening and the one on using chisels are the best of all the 50 or so video's I've bought over the years. They have really helped improve my work and results. For the cost of a video, that's a big bargain and appeals to my Scottish tendencies.

We are blessed with lots of choices in videos today. Tage Frid, Tom Law, and others come to mind when I think of what one can learn in your own living room cheaply. Mr. Christopher Schwarz also comes to mind with his wit and perspectives. They are all helping wood working and enriching our lives tremendously and I thank them.