Thread: Anyone in Northern Indiana interested in helping me build a phase Converter?

Anyone in Northern Indiana interested in helping me build a phase Converter?

Title says it all. With any luck I am going to be getting a Powermatic 160 planer with a 5 hp 3 ph motor on it and all I have is 220 and 110 machines right now. This is probably the only 3ph machine I am going to have so all I need the converter to run is the planer. It looks like from reading that A static converter would probably work for me since I am just a hobbiest wood worker but I would like to go with a rotary phase converter if I could financially justify it.

I'd ask over on OWWM. There are several members in Indiana who are running 3ph machinery on phase converters.

I built one last year. Now I have four 3 phase machines. I would use a 10HP motor so you could have the capability of running that size motor. I shopped for used parts and got by fairly cheap. A clamp on amp probe is useful to balance the load after everything is up and running. I wound up with 100 microfarad across each leg for lowest amp draw. The pony motor draws more amps with no load than when running a machine so I don't let the motor idle for long. It works well. The drawer sander with two 5HP motors is the most load. Let me know if I can help. It really is not all that hard to setup.

My understanding is that you can run a 3 phase motor on single phase power with a VFD (variable frequency drive). Factorymation.com, I think, is a source many use. I think this would be a much easier option than building a phase converter, plus you'll have variable speed capability. Might want to check out that option if you haven't already.

Looking at that website I cant find a Freq controller that will convert up to 5 horse it looks like 3 is as high as they go.

Here is a site that has everything you need to know.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...onverters-vfd/

I'd help, but I'm in Maryland. A good start would be a 10-15 hp motor, and a contactor with thermal overload to run it. All this can be had cheap if you have some patience.

we have old 480 motors laying around all over at work. Does anyone know if these can be used as an idler motor for the rotary. I am assuming no but it would be nice. The problem is if I have to start spending 300 or 400 for a phase converter it probably takes me out of the running for this planer and waiting around for used parts to make one isnt really an option because I need a planer not another project. It looks like if it was 3hp the VFD would have been a good cheap way to go.

www.phase-a-matic.com has instructions on how to do it. Use a static to start your slave motor which must be 240 volt not 480. Best place to buy the Static is Enco, VFD's are available for higher than 5 hp and are great for variable speed motors and providing soft start and more. Factorymation is a great place but you cannot go there and look at the site for 5 minutes and figure it out. Thyey do carry VFD's for much higher HP but you must call the techs to explain it better, It's clearly not a 5 minute DIY site. I've bought 6 VFD's in the last 2 years from them. Rotary phase converters are good for machines with multiple motors. Does the planer have a seperate feed motor? Contact Phase-a matic for more help. There's also Ronk, Kay and a dozen more static, rotary converter manufacturers out there and all are pretty much equal in what they do. Phase-a-matic has the diy rotary instructions on their site. I've done multiple converters from phase-a-matic using their Static converters to make rotary converters. I've also done it other ways. There is lots of bad advice on this subject on the web. You might also contact your local motor shops on the subject. Plenty of used rotary converters out there as well on Craigs List.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 05-24-2011 at 5:59 AM.

That's a real nice planer; I wouldn't let that one slip away over the motor issue.

RPCs are easy and inexpensive to build. There are good schematics on the web, and plenty of good experience and help at PM and OWWM.

VFDs are great on smaller HP motors, especially where variable speed is an advantage, such as with lathes, shapers, and sanders.

Variable feed speed is definately an advantage on a planer with separate feed and cutterhead motors, but with a single motor unit like the Powermatic in question, you want to keep the cutterhead speed constant.

Here is the RPC i built into the cabinet of a three phase direct-drive jointer:

In the picture are:

two terminal strips
    a fuse block
    a potential relay
    a start cap
    run caps
    5HP 3 phase idler motor

The principle is very simple: The idler motor is run on 220v single phase, motor/generator; same thing. The motor is generating 220v three phase. The potential relay pulls the start cap out of the circuit when the idler comes up to speed. The run caps balance the legs so your load runs happy.

Best part is, now I can run other three phase machines, so my equipment options expanded accordingly. Mounted to the outside of the cabinet are two 220v single phase, and two 220v three phase receptacles, and this RPC now also runs a Delta 14" RAS, and a Delta Crescent 12/14 table saw.

Having an RPC opens up opportunities to run some top-notch industrial grade machinery (such as your Powermatic planer) that would otherwise not be possible at the same price point.

And lastly, you could swap out the motor for a single phase motor. But by all means get the Powermatic; that's a great machine.

Timothy

This is the phase converter box that I use, it is pretty simple and easy to wire up. I bought the 7.5 hp converter box and run a 7.5 hp motor as an idler. I use it to power my Powermatic model 71 3hp table saw. I went this way because it seems you can always find the 3 phase equipment a little cheaper than the single phase. Here is a link

http://www.wnysupply.com/index.cfm/f...arentcat/25258

Does any body know what size I might need to run this planer? It seems like I have been reading that you need to double the size of your motor so it sounds like I would need a ten horse phase converter box and idler motor right? I like the idea of buying a pre-made box from that web site but I am also wondering where the best place to buy and old three phase motor for the idler motor other then craigslist?

If you are running a rotary converter vs. a static, you need at least the same size motor you are running, but make sure you do your research and get your caps setup right. Grainger has some really good deals on run caps right now.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I am also wondering where the best place to buy and old three phase motor for the idler motor other then craigslist?
    Most salvage yards have TONS of them. Because the only moving part in a 3 phase motor is the rotor, and two bearings they are easy to fix. Most often you will find they have bad bearings. When a bearing fails, it is quicker to replace the motor and get the plant running again. Time is money! Plus industry is upgrading to more efficient motors all the time. Go to a place that will sell old motors to you by the pound. If possible, take along some sockets, and crack open the case and see if it has that "burnt smell." If it doesn't then most likely you only need a set of bearings. You can rotate the shaft and usually tell this. Because the load on your converter isn't large, I would suggest that you buy inexpensive foreign (China) made bearings.