Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New breaker box

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cornish View Post
    I'm guessing he means no "doublers" - a one slot dual breaker providing 2 120V circuits. Certainly double pole breakers are legal, and required for many things.
    Correct, these "2 breakers in 1 slot" are not allowed for new installs according to my local code. They can be used to add new circuits as long as the total box capacity is kept in mind. Replacing the old main panel is considered a "new" install.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    ....The local utility also needs to get involved......I had to have the outside meter replaced with a meter + shutoff......
    But all that power company stuff is free to the homeowner. The power company provides the two hots and the neutral to the main box, and the electrician (be it hired or homeowner) goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    But all that power company stuff is free to the homeowner.
    Depends on where you are at. Ever since PA "deregulated" electric to give us all "consumer choice" the utility company charges for their work as they are only supplying the transmission system for the electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    Depends on where you are at. Ever since PA "deregulated" electric.....
    Gotta love all those hidden east coast costs of living....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    But all that power company stuff is free to the homeowner. The power company provides the two hots and the neutral to the main box, and the electrician (be it hired or homeowner) goes from there.
    here the power company provides to the masthead. It is up to the homeowner/electrician to run from the box to the meter base to the masthead so the power company has something to tie to.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    here the power company provides to the masthead. It is up to the homeowner/electrician to run from the box to the meter base to the masthead so the power company has something to tie to.
    When I first started my upgrade journey, that's what I was told...twice. Then when I made the decision to go forward, their story changed, in my favor. I was first told I needed an electrician to connect from the weatherhead all the way down. So I found a friend of a friend of a friend that was an electrician that I was planning to "bribe" (ie., pay and feed) to do the mast head connection, I would do the rest. When I called to order the meter socket, the power company rep said that they were responsible to the meter socket. They even sent out a field tech to check everything over. No charges from the power company if the run was less then 100' and not in conduit or a mast. I jumped on that deal, and the rest is history.

For (future) reference, I planned ahead fairly well. Only hit two small snags along the way. First was dealing with the 4-0/4-0/4-0 SEU was more work and took longer than expected, and the old mounting boards for the panel were ramset nailed to the concrete wall which took me some time to figure out how to cut the nails of flush without power for the air compressor. The dremel work perfectly. Even with all that said changing from 100A to 200A main panel took me 7-8 hours working alone and without a break. I do wonder what it would take a pro, but I would estimate 6-7 hours. If you plan on doing the same, that's what it took me.

Update: 2 more estimates. One at $1400. 00 and one at $1500.00. That sounds more like it. Both gave the option of surge protection also. Both include all hardware and pulling a permit from the city. Have no idea what the other company was thinking. When I compare the bids they are identical except the prices.

Blog Entries
    Quick question/warning.... Are you having these guys quote the same brand and quality? There is a lot of difference in putting in Square D main line, Home line and then dropping down to a cheapy line. I know my current house has a cheap cutler hammer brand that breakers are about $6-7 each where SD are about twice that. For that matter are you asking for the same quantity of breakers? Make sure you are apples to apples! Specify what YOU want installed, or provide it to them and have them just quote labor.