Thread: Thompson gouges

Thompson gouges

For those of you that use Thompson tools, what are the advantages of V shaped gouge vs. U shaped? Everyone seems to think very highly of these tools and I am trying to decide which is best for me. Need something heavy duty for roughing out large, out of balance blanks.

I've only used the V-shaped so I can't really compare. When I originally talked to doug he basically told me that V-shaped is the only way to go. He makes the U-shaped for people that have a very specific need for it (not sure what that is), but otherwise it wasn't really a question. V-shaped it is, and I love it!! I got the 5/8" for roughing, and because my lathe has a higher low-end rpm range. I would guess that Doug would recommend the 5/8" for your type of work, since it will take more of a beating. He's great to talk to, give him a call...

Dan

Bob - my understanding is that the 'V' is better at chip clearance when roughing out forms. I have the 5/8" V and the 3/4" V, with the 5/8" being my go-to gouge for just about everything! Beautiful gouge and I have it in a Monster handle that is filled with BBs for ballast. The 3/4" is a large gouge and works great for roughing out big blanks! I have it in the Monster extended handle and filled it with #6 lead shot to help absorb vibration. Great tools and I highly recommend them!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I prefer the 5/8 V gouge from Doug as well. The U shaped flute works better for a more blunt angle on the bevel, and for going across the bottom, though it does a fair job for finish cuts. Doug's V gouge is not nearly as much of a V as the Glaser gouge was, and I didn't like that one. For roughing, I prefer a heavy scraper.

robo hippy

I have a 1/2" V and a 5/8" U. I really like the U and don't care that much for the V although it does get used. I guess I'm different than others.

I have a Thompson 5/8" V and a Oneway 5/8" which is a "U". For roughing I prefer the Oneway. It seems to take off more wood. BUT I have it in a heavy modular handle, vice having a maple wood handle for the Thompson. Dunno if that could be the difference.

Do a search for V vs U. There were several threads in the past. My $0.02 would be to buy both . As many have already said, there are times where you want a V and other times where you'd want a U. I do think the V is more popular.

I have a couple DT gouges 1/4 and 5/8, both U-type. But I wouldn't use them for roughing. I leave that to my horse's leg Pinnacle Gouge.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

The V shape flute is by far the most common and used by most professionals, if you watch Bill Grumbine demo he'll use a 5/8V for entire bowl. The V shape bowl gouge when sharpened has a small nose radius and long wings, it's the wings that are used when roughing and scraping. The U shape has a large nose radius and small wings so the large radius is used to your advantage, when rolled on it's side the radius will shear the wood just like a skew only inside a bowl. The pictures below show the different flute shapes.

What size to get? A 1/2 diameter will handle a 12 inch bowl while a 5/8 will do up to 16-18 inch without any problems, larger go with a 3/4 and be done with it. The larger diameter steel will absorb the forces/energy from turning better than the smaller diameters. Years ago I would give demos and bring out a big 3/4V so the blank could be roughed and I could still talk to the group, when the blank was round I would go with the smaller tools. When turning larger blanks a heavy handle sure does help to overcome the forces. This picture was from a demo years ago, part of the show is to throw shavings... this is done with a 1/2V and a heavy handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use a DT 5/8 V as my main gouge for almost everything,I have DT handles on all my DT tools and totally love his handles. I use a 3/4 U gouge when working large blanks on the Vega 2600,I know it's not the gouge to use but it works very well for me. I have about 12 DT tools now and wouldn't be without any of them.

Well, 5/8 V gouge it is! Doug, you can expect my order shortly. Once again, I am amazed by the power of this forum. Virtually any turning related question can be posted and a variety of well thought out, experienced answers will appear in less than 12 hours! What did we do before the internet?

V flutes don't evacuate chips as well as a U flute, especially when roughing, but you will find that Doug's V flutes are a bit more rounded than Glaser or P&N V flutes. For real roughing I use his 3/4" U gouge in a long shot filled handle, and either Oneway Mastercut M 4 gouges or his V flute for most everything else.

I will pull out my 3/8 U even on large bowls for the finishing cut on the inside, it makes the cleanest cut of any gouge I have tried. I've got to get a 1/2 one of these days.

Greg