Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My New Hollowing System photos

My New Hollowing System photos

In an earlier thread I had talked about my new Carter Hollowing System and several asked for some photos. They are attached. It is mounted on my Oneway 2436 but it will mount to virtually any lathe. In my opinion it is the most inovative system to come along in ages.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Looks like a well made system, have they come up with priceing yet Keith?
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

nice lathe, Keith, nice and shiny hollower, i am sure it be dusty soon

how deep can you go without chatter??

how many clams, wapum, beaver pelts yall want for that hollower

Interesting design... what prevents the torque from twisting the bar? I mus tbe missing something very obvious.

Jon

okay... there is a great video on youtube on this thing. My question was answered... here is a pic that makes it obvious.

Love the collet tool holder... hmmm.
    Jon
    Picture1.jpg

$378.95 on Carter's website (including the added banjo post)- sans shipping. This is the basic kit without laser (no pics or price mentioned on line yet) or Hunter carbide tool (extra $69.95).

They want $99.95 for that handle (if purchased alone)... it is nice, but a bill?

Wonder what the street price of this will be?

Jon

edit - just did some comparison pricing between Carter website and Woodcraft... WC is about 20-25% more than Carter direct - nice freaking margins (wholesale to WC must be a lot less)... I won't be buying any Carter stuff from WC in the future when I can get direct pricing for MUCH less.
    Last edited by Jon Prouty; 05-25-2011 at 3:52 PM. Reason: grumping about markups

Some Carter products are the same price at both locations. For me it depends on which is cheaper, shipping or taxes. I like to try and keep my money local.

Looks pretty sweet. Watched the video and was totally disappointed. Who's the bozo? Don't look like Keith Burns to me. The thing doesn't even have a KB signature on it. Wouldn't mind having one nonetheless but it's going to have to wait until my current system wears out or until I start selling a lot of turnings!
    David DeCristoforo

Here is the youTube video for any that are interested in seeing it. As I have no experience with any but hand held hollowers at this point, for all of you that use different brands, how does this compare?
    Video -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX5M7z0DX04

"... for all of you that use different brands, how does this compare?"

There would be no way to compare without a "hands on" experience. In the video, it looks like there could be some "chattering" going on when the bar is extended way over the tool rest. Might be that the guy is taking too big of a bite or it might just be an illusion. This certainly looks like a fine rig and I would love to have a chance to try one out. But without that, I don't think anyone could make a fair comparison with other rigs.
    David DeCristoforo

Anytime the tool handle is extended over the stable reach of the tool rest, there is going to be chatter. Show me a system that doesn't. An idea (already brought up) would be to extend the tool rest into the piece (already ruled out). Extension rod diameter is key, but also limited by stability depth. The thought is that you could have a 1" boring bar and hit about 8-10" and get chatter. I'm guessing what we are looking for is a smooth transition to the depth of instability. We all see a guy that continually hollows to 12-14" with great success. That's what we should look at, what already works, how & why it works.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I'm only saying that there is no way to offer a comparison with other systems from watching a video...
    David DeCristoforo

Thought this would be a great moment to introduce myself...I am Jeff.....AKA bozo in the video. You are correct, I don't look like Keith Burns.....he is much better looking.

Although I have never posted before I have learned a lot over the past year from the great people here at SMC. I have only been avidly turning for about a year and have learned a lot in that year, and much it from more knowledgeable people in this forum than myself. I thank Keith Burns and a few other local turners for all the help and inspiration they have given me as well as a few other local wood turners.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and will start posting some of my work as soon as I turn something that doesn't go to the burn pile!

Howdy Jeff nice to see you here. Looking forward to seeing some of your work when you have some to post. As you already know, there are some great folks here and they are very helpful...Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Folkert View Post
    Thought this would be a great moment to introduce myself...I am Jeff.....AKA bozo in the video. You are correct, I don't look like Keith Burns.....he is much better looking.

Although I have never posted before I have learned a lot over the past year from the great people here at SMC. I have only been avidly turning for about a year and have learned a lot in that year, and much it from more knowledgeable people in this forum than myself. I thank Keith Burns and a few other local turners for all the help and inspiration they have given me as well as a few other local wood turners.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and will start posting some of my work as soon as I turn something that doesn't go to the burn pile!

Welcome to the Creek Jeff! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!