Thread: Chisel Grinding Jig?

Chisel Grinding Jig?

I'm Looking for a jig to help with grinding chisels. I'm looking for something that will help me get an equal grind on my chisels. I have a craftsman variable speed grinder, does anybody know of a jig that I can buy or make that would help me?

With all seriousness, the best chisel grinding jig that I know of is a Worksharp 3000.

Lee Valley makes a Veritas tool rest for bench grinders. It contains a platform and a 'miter sled' that clamps a chisel in place and allows you to slide it across the wheel for an even hollowgrind.

You'll still have to make/buy an angle setting jig.

Personally, I prefer a flat grind using my Worksharp above the table with 150g wheel and the Veritas MKII jig. It's more repeatable for me.

I think this is what you're looking for. I haven't used one, but it seems hard to go wrong as long as you're taking light cuts.

If you don't mind some unsolicited advice, remember that the grind doesn't have to be perfect. You are mainly removing material from the chisel's bevel so you don't have to spend as much time sharpening with stones, etc. As long as you don't accidentally remove the actual cutting edge, the grind can be ugly. Also, you can grind up to the edge, but leave a hair of material. Much less chance of burning than if you grind all the way out.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43072,45938

Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I like the idea of the worksharp, but right now thats out of the budget. I think Ill give that veritas setup a try. Has anybody had any experience with the bench rest and grinding jig?

I've used the veritas grinder tool rest for many years, and like it a lot. I've never found the clamping jig to be very useful, so that just sits on the shelf.

The tool rest is very quick and easy to setup to just the angle you need. The only thing I don't like about it is the aluminum table. Between the slot and pivot hole, neither of which I use, there is not enough material right in the center of the table, and being aluminum, it gets worn from grinder swarf right there in the center. I've milled it flat once already, and it's in need of milling again. This time I'll add a steel top after flattening the aluminum.

Other than the aluminum wear issue, I like the adjustability of the tool rest a lot. It gets used multiple times daily. The overall construction and fit and finish are excellent, as one expects from Lee Valley stuff. But, because of the aluminum table, I'd have to rate it an excellent Hobbyist Grade tool, but not quite ready for Prime Time.

Timothy

Wolverine has a grinding jig that is part of it's sharpening system. It may be as pricey as the Lee Valley one. There are some home made sharpening jigs that you can see on youtube. They basically are like the Lee Valley jigs but you make them out of plywood or hardwood. Just enter "sharpening jigs" in the search box and you will see several designs.

I have the following Wolverine jig that I use for flat wood chisel and plane blades on a slow speed grinder with great predictable results. http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/honing_jig.htm

Enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Lee Valley makes a Veritas tool rest for bench grinders. It contains a platform and a 'miter sled' that clamps a chisel in place and allows you to slide it across the wheel for an even hollowgrind.

You'll still have to make/buy an angle setting jig.

Personally, I prefer a flat grind using my Worksharp above the table with 150g wheel and the Veritas MKII jig. It's more repeatable for me.
    Prashun, do you use the bevel jig on the underside of the Worksharp? The demo I saw at the local Woodcraft looked like it put a very nice, sharp edge on the chisel without the need for a separate honing jig. Do you find that the Veritas MKII puts a better edge on the chisel than the Worksharp?

Thanks
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.