Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion - Favorite tool recently purchased and why

Discussion - Favorite tool recently purchased and why

I suspect we'll see a lot of posts about Thompson gouges but here it goes anyway:

My recent favorite is a pair of 5/8" and 1" WoodRiver multi tooth drive centers (parts 149173 and 149174; Woodcraft's version of a Sorby Stebcenter).

At only $20 each they're quite a bargain and have come in very handy for spindles, hollow forms, and bowls. I do a fair amount of multi axis work and in the past have used a standard 4 prong drive center. My new centers provide much better grip and have proven less likely to shift, particularly when only 1/3 - 1/2 of the drive center is in contact with the wood because of the shifted axis.

So, what tool or tools have you purchased recently that has become a favorite?

Jason

My favorite most recent purchase is a EWT Ci3-h5 hollowing tool, as I dont have a rig setup for hollowing yet I have been useing hand held hollowers, and by far this is the easiest to use that I have tried so far, and the carbide cutter makes quick work of everything I have tried it on so far, Banksia pods (very hard and brittle), Big Leaf Maple, sugar maple, and Claro Walnut. I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a hand held hollower.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

My most recent useful tool purchase was a bark spud, which was mentioned on this forum a little while ago. Very useful to remove bark from your logs. Yeah, DUH. Proper tool for the job is always a good idea. Beats using a screwdriver, chisel, hatchet or what ever you used before. I got a cheapo model from Northern Tools. 20 bucks if I remember. You can buy a "good" one for 60 bucks. I had to do the standard chisel preps, flatten the back, (took a lot of work, but hey, I saved 40 bucks) sharpened it. Had some minimal finish, so I sanded it down and threw on 2 coats of tung oil. Did I mention I had saved 40 bucks? Looks good and works really well.
    If you don't already have one, I'd reccomend it. And who has ENOUGH tools anyways?

I am not (yet) a turner, but I'll answer because it applies. I am at a new home setting up a new garage shop, and so my tool purchased are preparation for future production.

1) Shapton stones. Sharpness changes everything.

2) Shop lighting. About 10 times brighter than before.

3) A better marking knife.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Ah... that's an easy one for me. the "harpoon". A 5/8" Glaser bowl gouge. Oh, and the new Glaser screw chuck. The gouge is awesome and the chuck is every bit as good as the "old" one and perhaps even better due to the increased capacity offered by the interchangeable backing plates.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I am not (yet) a turner, but I'll answer because it applies.
    He! He! He! I have this sense we are about to snag another unsuspecting soul!!!!

It seems every new tool I get is my favorite!! So, for the moment, it is my new Thompson 5/8" V HOG! Just before that - the Jet 1642! And, before that, the....

Well, you get the idea!

My Barracuda 2 chuck. 4 sets of jaws and a screw chuck...can't beat it.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I had an old Barracuda 2 and it only lasted about 2 years before screws started stripping and the pinions wore too much to be usable. Add to that the fact that the insert couldn't be changed when I upgraded my lathe and it went in the trash. I switched to Teknatool SN2s and I haven't looked back.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    My Barracuda 2 chuck. 4 sets of jaws and a screw chuck...can't beat it.

Besides my Thompson gouge...I would have to say my smartphone. I can swipe credit cards with this thing at my shows

Easy for me... The VM120 chuck that I bought a few months ago. It's built like a tank!

My Grizzly 16x36 Drum Sander. How did I do woodworking for 40 plus years without one?

I haven't been buying a lot of new tools lately. That's partly because I have so many tools and accessories stashed away in my shop that some I've forgotten that I have until I run across them while looking for something else. I've bought tools only to discover that I have one I bought a long time ago. Old age you think?

My latest is an Axminster eccentric chuck system. It's an eccentric chuck and a spiraling system. I haven't had a chance to give it much of a test. Haven't tried the spiraling at all. I'll have to say that the directions for the use of this thing are just about the worst I've seen. I've ordered a book by Dick Sing that is supposed to give a few suggestions. I hope so. I've done a few simple things that I figured out on my own, but there are more possibilities that I haven't come up with.

I'm thrilled with my new Kobra hollowing system. This is another "built like a tank" product with a well thought out design and custom made by two perfectionists.

My latest toys.......................A 5/8" Glaser bowl gouge and a 3/4" Glaser bottom bowl gouge...........'nuff said
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Trend AS pro. Im guessing about 5 extra yrs to putz.