Thread: Fulton Combination Plane stud or dud.

Fulton Combination Plane stud or dud.

Hello all, well I picked up a Fulton Combination Plane at a MWTC meeting for a great price ( picks to follow shortly) but now i'm starting to think I have a problem. For one thing it's near impossible to find information about them and I get the feeling the cutters are going to be a bare to find. i've seen some Sargent cutters that look similar but i'm not to sure. Has anyone had any dealing with this Combination Plane?

Blog Entries
    My memory seems to think the Fulton was made by Sargent.

When all is said and done, it should be possible to adapt blades to fit your needs.

Some of the early Stanley #45 combination planes didn't have adjusters. If my memory is working, some of the other models never did.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes. It's a Sargent 1080. I have a Craftsman-branded version and rather like it. I think they're better than 45s. You can find a manual for it here, and it functions in the same way as a Stanley 45. The irons for that plane are like those for a 45, however the depth adjusting knob has an additional provision, so the blades have an additional notch. The irons for combo planes are still available from Stanley, without the additional Sargent notch, so you'd have to do one of the following--

find a set of Sargent irons
    get a set of Stanley irons and make your own depth adjusting nut
    get a set of Stanley irons, anneal them, and file/hacksaw the additional notch in

Obviously, the second one would be easiest.

You can also just get O1 steel stock the thickness of the stanley irons and cut and harden your own. They are small irons and probably of all of the things in the woodworking world made of metal, they are the easiest to make.

You'd just need a metal scribe, a hacksaw, a file, a torch and some oil.

FWIW, I stumbled across auction number 130524389830 the other day. It might help. No relation to the seller or anything.

Thank you all so much. Mr. McCullough that page is a great help to me. Mr. Pierce I had stumbled across that auction my self and I believe those are the very ones mine uses. Thank you all for the help. I'll post some pics soon I still think it was a good buy for $20 plus a single plough blade.